Roam & Roam SL stereo pair: auto power down at different times

• 18 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello,

As the title says, my Roam takes much longer to auto power down vs my Roam SL. Mic is enabled on the Roam.

Is this a bug ? Wifi power save & battery saver both enabled for the stereo pair.

I’d much rather they power down at the same time as the roam runs out of battery much quicker than the Roam SL.

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @gruser 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Although it would seem to make sense that both devices sleep at the same time, I think this may be expected behaviour - there are many things that can make a speaker reset it’s countdown clock for when it should go to sleep, including network activity and voice commands (even false triggers). As a speaker with a voice assistant installed is likely to see more of such activity than one without, what you report makes a certain sense.

I would tag this thread as a feature request, as it would make sense for a stereo pair to go to sleep at the same time, but I rather suspect that this will result in the SL staying awake for longer, and thus draining it’s battery just as much as the other speaker - not, I feel, the result you would be after.

Please also note that simply running a Voice Assistant takes more power, so it makes sense that the Roam would run out of power before the Roam SL anyway.

You didn’t mention which Voice Assistant you were running, but you may see different results with a different Assistant - Sonos Voice Control certainly doesn’t maintain outside links in the way that other Assistants do, so using it may result in an earlier sleep on the Roam.

You may find that the situation also changes if you get into the habit of disabling the microphone when you are not physically in the room.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the response. I haven’t had one Google Home Assistant false positive since Ive had the speakers so I’m not sure what would be extending any shutdown timer. In any case the Roam is shutting down 10s of minutes after the Roam SL - its always a very large gap.

Would you expect if I disable the mic that they would shutdown at exactly the same time? I think I will try that, as it makes no sense to have one speaker in a stereo pair die hours before the other.

I dont seem to be able to add a Feature Request tag at this point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @gruser 

Would you expect if I disable the mic that they would shutdown at exactly the same time? I think I will try that, as it makes no sense to have one speaker in a stereo pair die hours before the other.

I think it’s possible that they would sleep at closer times, but there’s always one speaker in charge of a stereo pair (usually the left) - I think it’s always likely to sleep later, as it will be responding to the app whenever the app opens, and other discovery attempts.

I don’t seem to be able to add a Feature Request tag at this point.

The tag that counts in this case is a moderator tag that’s invisible to users - I’ll add it, and it will be considered.

I hope this helps.