Answered

Roam - maximum charging cable length?

• 24 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Does anyone know what the maximum length usb-c charging cable the Roam will handle for charging?  I have tried a 26 ft cable and the App/Roam returns an insufficient power charging error.  I have not yet tried anything shorter to figure out where the max lies but looking for intel if anyone knows.  And, if anyone has an idea how to get more than 26 ft, would love to hear.  

(I’m mounting these outside permanently under an eave for patio audio)

icon

Best answer by Hans-TX 27 January 2024, 01:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

First, I wouldn’t be doing this, it isn’t what the Roam was designed for, a permanent outdoor mount. I’d instead use a speaker designed for outside mounting, and use a Sonos Amp to power it via the normal wiring. It certainly would void any warranty from Sonos. 

A two second web search suggests that 5 meters is the max length for USB C power, you’re slightly over that. But that is direct, and does not include the losses of a Qi charger, if you were using that. 

For anyone coming along looking for the correct answer to this issue, I did some testing and have some answers.  If you use a USB-C to USB-C cable and a strong USB-C charger (40W), you can power the Roams with at least a 26 ft cable and have no error messages.  It must be a USB-C cable on both ends; a USB-A will not work at longer distances. I suspect the Roam can communicate with the charger to get what it needs via the USB-C protocol.  I’ll be testing a 32 or 35 ft cable and will post an update with the results. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What are the wire sizes in that long cable?

I’ve found different brands / types can vary in both voltage drop and how warm they run.

What are the wire sizes in that long cable?

I’ve found different brands / types can vary in both voltage drop and how warm they run.

Not sure of the specs but here is the 26 ft cable I’m using that worked fine.  No observed heat from the cable.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XW5WBVD?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1