Answered

Roam battery life

Badge

The Roam is off, however battery is still draining--significantly.

I just received the Roam this week and have been using it on occasion, however I’ve noticed battery drain even when it’s “off.” I fully charged the Roam, used it to 87% (via wifi), shut it off and the next day it was down to 31%. 

If this is the performance expectation then I’m a little disappointed, and will likely be returning it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 27 May 2021, 17:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Are you sure it was powered off and not just in sleep mode - the power off is a long press on its rear power button, 5+ seconds, until you hear the power down jingle.

I switched the Roam off well over 24 hours ago and it’s battery on power-on is showing at 97%

Badge

Thanks for the reply/advice, I just doubled checked this. You’re right!

When I press and hold the power button for ~2 secs I hear the (shorter) chime, the LED light is out and the Roam no longer shows in my SONOS app device list. I initially assumed this was off, not sleeping.

I was a little confused as it seems bluetooth pairing is between the shorter press for sleep and the longer 5+ sec for power down (which has a separate longer chime).

I’ll test the battery life again with this approach.

Thanks!

That’s okay generik, the Roam buttons have lots of functionality and it’s easy to mix up these things. I’m sure others here have done the same thing, as when the device is off it stays charged for ages, but all lithium-ion batteries will lose some small amount of charge overnight.

I was just about to post about how unhappy I am with the battery life on the roam. I also just press the back button for 2 seconds thinking it's off. I will now press it longer to make sure that it's off and check battery status during the rest of the week. 

The Bose Soundlink II that I bought 3 years ago still has a battery life of around a week in idle state and you don’t have to manually turn it off.  My new Sonos Roam lasts less than 24 hours.  Come on guys! This product won’t compete in the industry long if you don’t improve it.  I’m hoping there is a firmware update fix for this down the road.  

The Roam is off, however battery is still draining--significantly.

I just received the Roam this week and have been using it on occasion, however I’ve noticed battery drain even when it’s “off.” I fully charged the Roam, used it to 87% (via wifi), shut it off and the next day it was down to 31%. 

If this is the performance expectation then I’m a little disappointed, and will likely be returning it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

If you hold the power button for 5 seconds the power light will go off and the Roam will shut off.  Open the Sonos app and click “System” and it should show the Roam as “Offline.”  If the Roam turned back on when you opened the app, you likely did not hold the power button long enough.  I charged my Roam yesterday and powered it off and turned I back on 24 hours later and was still at 100%…..Before I figured this out I was losing 25% of the battery charge per day.

I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one that wasted their money with this product. Charged it overnight to 100%. Haven’t turned it on, went out to the pool, turned it on it was at 47%. Died an hour later. My cheap Amazon outdoor speakers last weeks on a charge. Poor design and product testing. 

As suggested in the post previous to yours, it seems like you may not have turned it off completely, but instead put it in standby. It seems like how long you hold down that button is key to the difference between the two states, and how much energy is used by the device.

I held it down for 5 seconds and the unit turned off but is still showing as charging on my phone. Normal?

Ok. Held it down longer and now it’s offline on my phone. Let’s see what happens tomorrow. Thank you. 

Hi

Just added  Roam to my system ,

my wife uses it to listen to the radio overnight whilst keeping it plugged in,

yet when she uses it in the office unplugged its battery life lasts only 2 hours not the ten as advertised.

So far the purchase of the Roam instead of a second Move has seemed to be a costlymistake !!

Louis