Skip to main content

I get it, you can’t use Roam and Move as surround speakers.  But it would be nice if you could.  I want to use roam in the bedroom on the nightstand because of the small footprint and the small room.  

so what would happen if you had a charging base that was part of the Sonos surround to connect with your main channel (arc, beam, etc.) then when the roam is on the charging base, the system treats it as a surround.  When you remove it, the base says ‘there is nothing here’. This would allow me to snag one to take to the pool during the day and watch a movie at night. 

just think about it. Plus it’s another way for you to suck about $200 out of my pocket. 

I get it, you can’t use Roam and Move as surround speakers.  But it would be nice if you could.  I want to use roam in the bedroom on the nightstand because of the small footprint and the small room.  

so what would happen if you had a charging base that was part of the Sonos surround to connect with your main channel (arc, beam, etc.) then when the roam is on the charging base, the system treats it as a surround.  When you remove it, the base says ‘there is nothing here’. This would allow me to snag one to take to the pool during the day and watch a movie at night. 

just think about it. Plus it’s another way for you to suck about $200 out of my pocket. 

Is there any intelligence in the charging base? How will it tell the main speaker anything? Plus, the time it takes to bond or unbond surround speakers will cause a frustrating “no sound” period for anyone watching the tv whilst the new configuration is set. 

Hi @Awe-Sam 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thanks for the feedback - I do see your point. However, what should the Arc (for example) do if only one surround speaker is missing? Not play to the other, or play both surround channels to it? Whatever we did, someone would be unhappy. In this case, however, I think we are largely trying to keep the soundbar happy - Move and Roam models cannot be used as surround speakers precisely because they may be removed at any moment.

I've marked this thread as a feature request, however, and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration as it is not for me to decide. Keep the ideas coming!

I hope this helps.

I have a Move stereo pair that use a charging base.  The speaker knows when it’s on the base.  I’m guessing the intelligence would be in the Move firmware to change it into a surround speaker.

Interesting idea as I like the sound of the Move stereo pair.