move losing charge

• 5 February 2023
  • 4 replies

I enquired with sonos chat last Sunday about my new move losing charge very quickly. I wasn't 100% sure that I had switched it off rather than standby. So have turned it off for a week and confirmed that it has lost exactly 30% of its charge. Then standing by and woken up only to check charge twice in the last 7hrs today it has now dropped another 19%.

-So last Sunday it was turned off with 100%.

-7 days later it was 70% when turned on for the first time.

-It has then dropped to 51% in standby for 7hrs with the microphone off (turned off last Sunday as a suggestion in the chat)

-the wifi modem is about 7m away from this speaker

Surely this is not right!!??

(As usual there is no one to chat with when you want)

4 replies

Yeah, those battery levels sound fine to me for its lithium-ion battery. A power-level loss of about 2-4% overnight (8-10 hours) if completely powered off is what I would expect to see (it depends on temperature). I leave my two Moves on their charger-loop 24/7 if not in use …and when using, they last around 8-10 hours in the garden. Also when off the charger, I leave the battery-saver enabled particularly when it’s taken away from Home so it that shuts down after 30 mins of inactivity, rather than uses sleep mode.

Note in ‘sleep’ mode (obviously off it’s charger) the mere act of opening the Sonos App on the subnet will return the speaker to standby mode, so if you require that option, then don’t use it’s battery saver feature.

Why would the lithium battery 'lose power' with the unit fully shut down?

I have turned on old mobile phones in the drawer after years and they still have decent charge.

So do they have all the Moves lined up on charge in the warehouse waiting for someone to order one- then they box it up and quickly deliver it to the customer before it goes flat??

I think not.

From memory mine had about 70% charge when I took it out the box. So they must have charged it a week before I got it.

(Sorry- I'm a non believer)

Why would the lithium battery 'lose power' with the unit fully shut down?

I have turned on old mobile phones in the drawer after years and they still have decent charge.

So do they have all the Moves lined up on charge in the warehouse waiting for someone to order one- then they box it up and quickly deliver it to the customer before it goes flat??

I think not.

From memory mine had about 70% charge when I took it out the box. So they must have charged it a week before I got it.

(Sorry- I'm a non believer)

I’m certainly no battery expert, so perhaps speak with Sonos Support Staff, but the batteries do discharge, even when a device is powered off (a couple of percent overnight) and that can apparently vary by temperature… here’s a LINK for you to speak with the Staff (when available) as I don’t want mislead you, but I have two Moves and some of my friends and family have a Move too and they all behave similarly - So your battery levels sound ‘on par’ with what I/we see. Both myself and other  family members have had our Moves since they were first launched in 2019 and they’re still going strong and they work fine off their charger - You should expect 8-10 hours of playback depending on volume levels.

You may perhaps find this link useful too in answering some of the questions you may have…

https://thegadgetbuyer.com/sonos-move-battery-life-draining-the-battery/

Here’s a thread too within the community relating to the Move Battery and it includes a drain test by the user @AjTrek1, which perhaps may also assist you…

Note that it’s from 3 years ago and before the battery saver feature was introduced.