Skip to main content

So I’ve reached out to support about this numerous times and the two answers I’ve gotten are:

A) Move closer to your WiFi Router

B) The Sonos Move 2 Speakers cannot handle the bandwidth of Lossless Audio over WiFi.

I’m sure these support agents have no idea what they’re talking about.  The issue is with the speakers themselves, and can be resolved by writing better firmware.

To disprove the claim that I am too far from my WiFi router, I went ahead and upgraded my already top-of-the-line-but-several-years-old WiFi router to an even better one.  I’m glad I spent the money on it.  It’s a better router with superior configuration options for techy people like myself.  Same connectivity issues with my Move 2 speakers.  Everything else works great on it including my other Sonos devices.

If the second claim is true (the speakers can’t handle lossless audio) then I have to wonder why they were built in the first place?  They produce great quality audio when they work.  But most of the time they skip, stutter, drop out, and make static when paired in stereo.

I bought my first Move 2 quite some time ago and noticed that it didn’t work over WiFi so I used it over bluetooth.  I figured this was a firmware issue that would eventually be resolved, and the lower audio quality wasn’t that big of a deal since the speaker was in mono anyway.  Then, recently, I went ahead and purchased a second one to pair in stereo.

Sales says they are not able to offer any warranty or return on the speakers.  It looks like technical support has no idea what they’re doing, and it also looks like the leadership of the company is not being very transparent with us about the status of these products and the issues they have.

I have Sonos products which don’t work.  The company doesn’t seem to care, nor are they willing to do anything about it.  I’m posting here in the unlikely event that someone from Sonos can disprove that.

Update: Created new thread because the last one got marked as “Answered” but the issue was not actually resolved.

I forced my Move 2 speakers onto 2.4gHz to improve the SNR, as per someone’s suggestion.  They went from ~33dB SNR to ~46dB SNR.  I’m still getting the same behavior.

Anyone from Sonos able to give me my money back in exchange for the defective products?

It is unclear in the other thread what the actual setup is.

Can you please confirm, is this a lossless file in Apple Music App on a computer running macOS streaming via Airplay? If so which Airplay, the system Airplay or the Apple Music app Airplay?

To check if the Move 2s are exposing Airplay properly download the free Flame app on iOS. When on your local network it should list your Sonos devices with the following services (amongst others): _airplay._tcp and _raop._tcp. If that is the case everything is correct, your problem is nothing to do with Sonos and everything to do with Airplay.

Another simple test: can you move your Move2 pair closer to your router and replicate the issue? If not then the problem is most likely wifi signal / interference (as others were suggesting in the previous post) and you may need to troubleshoot using different wifi channels, different speaker placement, or extending your network.