Skip to main content
Answered

Charge Indicator on Sonos Roam SL

• 6 May 2024
  • 3 replies

The orange light keeps blinking on my new Roam SL when plugged in and charging. The unit was 100% charged and then discharged to 90%, with first use. I then plugged it into my computer using the supplied USB C cable. The app shows charging and at 91% but an orange light is flashing. The website says the orange light will flash if depleted (see https://support.sonos.com/en-au/article/charging-your-sonos-roam-or-roam-sl). It was not flashing when connected to a wall charger vs computer (5V/3A USB). So, what does the flashing orange light mean in this case?

Also I can only find statements on how long it takes to partially charge the unit.  How long does it take to fully charge the unit from 0% to 100%, say using a fast charger (i.e.full capacity)?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Machiavelli 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

You can see a breakdown of all Sonos light colours and their meanings on our Sonos LED lights help page.

As you report seeing a flashing orange charge light (which means low battery) on a unit that is currently charging and mostly charged, I suspect you may be mistaking a red light for an orange one. As a result, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Roam and what it reports about it’s battery.

Before doing so, however, I recommend that you first try forcing a reboot of the Roam, just in case that helps. Please hold the power button on the back of the speaker for approximately 12-15 seconds until you hear further tones.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry,

Thanks for the answer. It could have been flashing red rather than orange - which would make sense if it indicated a fault. The unit was definitely almost fully charged and working as I was streaming music. However, I think I have partially solved the problem. Partially solved because I no longer have a flashing light but the reason for the flashing isn't  evident from the online information.

FYI, I was following the Sonos recommendation to keep the unit plugged in and charging by connecting it to a peripheral USB port (rated to 3A on a monitor). After a few hours my Mac came up with a “draining power error”  and asked me to disconnect and check the devices. I assumed this meant the Roam was draining the power supply, although everything was plugged into AC. So,I then connected the supplied Sonos cable directly into a fast charge AC mains plug for an old iPad. Result = fast charge to full and no red/orange flashing light on the Roam.

I’ve used the Roam all today plugged into the mains without a problem. There was no need to reset or reboot.

I’m an ex corporate attorney and a CEO of a fintech company, so always curious about things. Can I suggest your team investigate if, or confirm that, connecting the cable to a power supply with insufficient capacity will cause an error light to flash. If that is the case, consider publishing it on the website.

I’m still baffled as I checked the capacity of the USB output before trying the monitor. But, the problem seems solved and much more easily than fixing glitches on my Bang & Olusfen system which cost an arm and a leg and constantly needs rebooting but B&O never satisfactorily resolved the issue. I’m now considering switching the whole house to Sonos sound. 

Nonetheless, please consider this thread closed. 

With best wishes,

M

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Machiavelli 

A USB charger rated at 3A will provide 15W of power, which is more than sufficient to charge Roam. If your previous USB port was supplying 1.5A or less, that may indeed explain the flashing orange light, though if this were the case you should also have seen a warning message in the Sonos app informing you of an insufficient power supply (which would make a LED indicator superfluous) - see our Power adapter requirements for charging Sonos Roam help page for details. I’m not sure why your Mac reported the drain if it was itself plugged into power at the time. Perhaps it was judged excessive by macOS.

Apologies - I now realise I forgot to address your charging-time query. It’s difficult to answer, however, as it will depend on many factors - the charging current, the battery age and the battery temperature come to mind, and there may well be others. I was able to find a quoted figure of approximately 2.5 hours to charge from 0 to 100% with a 10W supply, however.

I am glad to hear you found a more reliable way to charge your Roam.

I hope this helps.