Answered

Can I Use a Roam Without the App?

• 19 May 2022
  • 7 replies

I just got the Sonos Roam, and I really just wanted a bluetooth speaker. Link my phone via bluetooth, play music. Is there any way to just keep it simple? I don’t want to have to open an extra app every time I want to listen to music.

icon

Best answer by wds0001 19 May 2022, 04:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Yes you can.  However, you will need to set it up for the first time using the app.  After that, it will work like any other Bluetooth speaker.  The thing is, the Roam is more than just a Bluetooth speaker.  It is designed to be part of an integrated system that can also be taken in the road.  I use it as part of my whole home setup, and as a standalone speaker.  

Without sounding like a complete caveman, how do I do this? When I try to connect, my phone says ‘needs an app to connect’.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Without sounding like a complete caveman, how do I do this? When I try to connect, my phone says ‘needs an app to connect’.

Have you tried this?

Have you tried this?

I have. I got everything set up, however when I open the app, it’s a bunch of grey boxes, and when I connect via bluetooth, it still tells me it has to be done through the app.

Have you tried this?

I have. I got everything set up, however when I open the app, it’s a bunch of grey boxes, and when I connect via bluetooth, it still tells me it has to be done through the app.

No that doesn’t sound quite correct, you might be doing something wrong - perhaps post a screenshot of what you’re seeing and describe the steps taken in a little more detail, or perhaps try this…

Once the speaker has been setup and registered via the Sonos App, close the App. You then need to ‘pair’ the Roam to your mobile by pressing/holding its rear power button for 2-3 seconds… the top status LED flashes blue and you will hear a tone and then the device will show up in your mobile Bluetooth device list. Select it to ‘pair’ the mobile with the speaker. The blue flashing light will then give a constant steady blue glow and you should hear another tone to indicate it is ‘paired’. Then play music from one of your phone Apps and adjust the phone volume to hear the audio on your ‘paired’ speaker.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What phone are you using for setup? What Android or iOS version?

OK, I went back and reinstalled the app and started over and it’s working! 

Thanks all! I knew it couldn’t really be this difficult!