Answered

Airplay is "unable to connect to Sonos Roam" daily

• 29 August 2023
  • 7 replies

Hey folks,

I've got a Sonos Roam and I'm bumping into an issue. To connect it to Airplay, I have to go through the whole process of resetting the device. But here's the kicker: the very next day, that dreaded "unable to connect to Sonos Roam" message pops up again. 

Got any solutions before I think about making the switch to a HomePod?

I’ve already tried everything on these posts:

2. https://www.airplayguru.com/sonos-airplay-not-working 

Many thanks!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 29 August 2023, 06:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Badge

Try connecting to the same network in case you haven’t. Updating the Sonos App and the Sonos Roam may also solve the issue. You can also try deleting and reinstalling the app as well as restarting your device, if all else fails stick with Bluetooth or instead of getting a Homepod, I suggest waiting for the Sonos Move (gen2). 

Hi @Wello223 , thank you for your response.

Yes, I've tried reinstalling and updating the app, but no luck there. The only workaround I've found is to reset the Sonos Roam each time.

To be honest, this experience has shaken my trust in Sonos. If they want to win me back, they'll need to provide a real solution. I didn't invest in a Sonos Roam to have it work in isolation from my existing system. Right now, it can't connect to Airplay, and that feels like wasted money.

Is there no software update Sonos can roll out to make it compatible with Airplay on a consistent basis?

Thank you

Badge

@Maveric,

There isn’t any update that i am aware of that solves this problem.

There may be a defect in your speaker. Currently, I suggest you try and get an RMA or buy a different speaker. As a Sonos owner for 3 years. I own the “7.1.4 Sonos Ultimate Immersive Set with Arc, Sub and Era 300 Pair” as well as “2 Sonos 1 (gen2) and 1 Sonos SL (gen 2)” I have never experienced an issue such as this. 

Speakers like the Bose Soundlink Flex and Sonos Move are great alternatives to the Roam. Though no brand has the seamless experience and connectivity like Sonos.

I connect on a daily basis with my Roam via AirPlay 2. I’m not convinced that there’s a software explanation for your difficulties. It sound a lot more like either simple wifi interference of some type, or an issue with duplicate IPs. Or even the remote chance of a faulty unit. The only way to be certain is for you to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Hey @Wello223 thank you so much for the context. 

Regarding this comment:

Speakers like the Bose Soundlink Flex and Sonos Move are great alternatives to the Roam. Though no brand has the seamless experience and connectivity like Sonos.

This is different from my experience but I hope to get that resolved!

--

@Airgetlam, that's very helpful; thank you! I'll send in a diagnostic tomorrow to see what the team finds. It's unlikely that Wi-Fi interference is the issue, as I have multiple devices and the only one experiencing problems is the Sonos. Fingers crossed that the Sonos support team can resolve it.

Feeling grateful for both your responses!

Having the exactly same issue where AirPlay fails. It works after a factory reset of the Roam but within a day or so it goes back to the same failure mode. I spent an hour chatting with Sonos support and they said the reset is their current workaround and their engineering team is working on a fix for this (no ETA available). Needless to say I’m very disappointed since a main selling feature of this product is AirPlay compatibility. Definitely rethinking investing more into this ecosystem. 

Three different Sonos systems in the last two months. No difficulty sending an AirPlay 2 signal to any Sonos speakers, including Roams, on any of them.