Skip to main content
Question

adding roam to a group.

• 14 May 2024
  • 9 replies

All was fine with 16.1 but since 16.2 update, I  can't add my roam to any groups. Keep getting the standard  ‘unable to connect, try again later.' I can play music directly to the roam, just can't group it. Any thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I have the exact same problem and I’ve literally just bought my roam. Will really appreciate an answer. I’ve rebooted every Sonos device to no avail. 

Userlevel 1

Been fighting this issue all day finally figured it out! Update the app, go to settings → Manage (top right) → System Updates → Check for updates. I had to do it a couple times and finally got all speakers updated so you can add new ones to a group with them.

Useless 70min wait time support calls, you’re welcome lol.

Thank you kind stranger. You are true legend amongst us mere mortals

Same fix for me. I didn’t put two-and-two together with the “Unable to connect. Try again later.” message in the new app really meant that I needed to tell the app the check for an update.

I have an automation set up in Home Assistant to automatically join my Roam speaker in the shower to the Play 1 speaker in the bathroom that is set to a reasonable level (not loud enough to hear the Play 1 in the shower). Every time there was an update I would get the connection error in Home Assistant and know to open the app and get a system update. The old app was very prompt on informing me when there was an update.

I hope they fix this issue in the new app. Until then I will remember to force an update check if I have any issues. Thank you @Billsworth !

Been fighting this issue all day finally figured it out! Update the app, go to settings → Manage (top right) → System Updates → Check for updates. I had to do it a couple times and finally got all speakers updated so you can add new ones to a group with them.

Useless 70min wait time support calls, you’re welcome lol.

I joined just to say thank you. 

Very disappointed in this update. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks to ITDepartment! My Roam can now be joined to other rooms. I've generally been very happy with SONOS but this new app release has been a disaster. No other way to put it. 

Thanks IT Department, also resolved my issue with the roam not grouping. Even though the app was set to auto update, clearly this also does not work like many things in this new improved app. 

You a hero IT! Thanks for solving. Great to see the community coming together on this mess.

Same issue here, but all is up to date. Stil can’t add Roam 2 to an existing group, however if found that i CAN add other speakers to Roam 2 to form a new group, then it seems to work (for now).

If it works, it works, but Sonos is a nightmare when it doesn’t and it’s support is even much worse (not only for long wait times, but also you get default answers that don’t even come close to what you’ve been asking)