Answered

Adding new product to my 1st Gen 5's system?

• 19 January 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have had 2 Play 5s (1st Gen) and a Play One.  LOVE my system. 

Just moved to new apt and I had my One in the bathroom but my new bathroom doesn’t have a good place to plug it in and also place it somewhere. I thought “OK I’ll get a new water resistant one like Roam or Move.”   I bought a Roam, and after playing around with it and spending a long time iwth an AMAZING Sonos rep on the phone, he says Roam can only work on S2 and Play 5 (1st gen) can only work on S1.  I can’t use Roam and my old speakers!

Ughh! During setup it seemed like S2 (which I downloaded) was going to let me set up the Roam on S2 but then PLAY it via S1. 

Am I just out of luck? If I want any new speakers I have to upgrade my old ones??? THis is turning a $200 purchase into a $1200 one!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 19 January 2024, 06:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

There isn’t any reason why you can’t have 2 systems, one running S1 and the other running S2. 

The only thing you’d miss out on would be grouping both sets of speakers to play the same thing. There are quite a few folks on this forum that seem run two disparate systems, although I’m not one of them. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi.   Yeah I live in a 1BR apt so my whole point is I want to play the same music on all speakers at once :(

Sorry, Sonos has moved on from S1 devices, most likely due to memory concerns. If you want to do simultaneous / grouped speakers, you’re going to need to upgrade. 

On the other hand, I found a very pleasing difference between the PLAY:1 first gen and the gen 2. While it may be an expense that hurts, I suspect your ears will be pleased, when you pull the trigger. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

A small consolation: you should get a trade-in discount from Sonos, which can be used against a new product purchase without the need to return your Play:5 Gen 1.