Answered

Two Sonos Systems same property, same WIFI

• 29 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello Everyone,

I have just built a mother in suite above my garage.  I would like to split my current Sonos system into two separate systems so that guests can listen to music independent of the main house.  Both systems would be using the same WIFI network.  I would like to move over 2 sonos move 2, 2 sonos five, and 1 sonos sub.   

1-How do I create a second system on my Android S22utra to control the new and old system separately?

2-I am guessing that the speakers being moved from the main house to the mother in law suite need to be reset?

3-Will both systems be able to be operated at the same time independently of each other?

4-I have EERO pro WIFI.  

Thanks for any help.  Please dumb it down so that I can actually be successful in following your instructions!

icon

Best answer by ratty 29 November 2023, 17:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

1-How do I create a second system on my Android S22utra to control the new and old system separately?

You can’t control both systems from the same mobile device. You’ll need to dedicate other control devices to the second system.

2-I am guessing that the speakers being moved from the main house to the mother in law suite need to be reset?

Correct, factory reset those speakers then set them up as a ‘new system’ with a newly installed (or reset) app on a separate device (see above).

Temporarily power off the existing system while setting up the new one.

3-Will both systems be able to be operated at the same time independently of each other?

Yes (see above re control devices).

Thank you for the response.  

I moved over 2 sonos move and 2 of the smaller sonos 1.

Everything is tied in together and I am surprised that the system

functions 60 feet apart.  Maybe Sonos will update their app in the future

to accommodate two systems.

Thanks again!

There are evidently third party control apps which allow the user to choose between systems. You’d need to do your own research.

FWIW the Sonos app can be associated with more than one system (by temporarily turning off all but one system and ‘connecting to an existing system’) but thereafter it’s pot luck which system the app will select when it starts. The game of roulette -- start app, force-quit, restart, force-quit, restart, etc -- to eventually latch onto the desired system quickly gets very tedious.

Maybe Sonos will update their app in the future

to accommodate two systems.

I should have thought that the circumstances in which one would want separate systems (e;g; guest accommodation or completely separate households) are precisely those where attaching a particular controller to both systems should not be too easy???

Unless the mother-in-law needs to be kept in line?