Skip to main content

The latest Sonos update for S@ on IOS

• 26 July 2024
  • 6 replies

I am truly horrified by the user interface change. WHY? Every SONOS user has mastered the old one. I have been a SONOS evangialist for 20 years to anyone who would listen to me but cannot recommend it any more. I just setup my daughter with some of my old SONOS gear and fortunately she could use the S1 software. I can’t downgrade to S1 as I have a BEAM gen2 in the mix.

Please please please let us use the old IOS S2 software that we know and love and works well.

Change for change sake is never a good idea. This new software is BAD.

6 replies

The ‘new’ Sonos App is working okay here on my Home Sonos setup, but If you’re having difficulties using the updated controller App, then maybe reproduce any issue(s) seen, submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the App (if practicable), note it’s reference and/or gather any relevant screenshots/screen-recordings and contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to help you to resolve the matter.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Sonophone/sonopad app Ios only £4 can control S1 and S2, if that helps

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I am truly horrified by the user interface change. WHY? Every SONOS user has mastered the old one. I have been a SONOS evangialist for 20 years to anyone who would listen to me but cannot recommend it any more. I just setup my daughter with some of my old SONOS gear and fortunately she could use the S1 software. I can’t downgrade to S1 as I have a BEAM gen2 in the mix.

Please please please let us use the old IOS S2 software that we know and love and works well.

Change for change sake is never a good idea. This new software is BAD.

I realise many are having issues with the latest app, but why are you asking for S2? Did you make the same plea when S2 came out, and want to go back to S1 at that time? Surely by your reasoning, S2 from S1 must also be viewed as “change for change sake”? Similarly, Beam2 should never have come out, nor Beam when a perfectly functional Playbar was available. Indeed, why do we need multi-room synchronised speakers… How far back do we go to declare a good base point from which no change should happen? 

It certainly may not help in some ways…and it may even hinder any user trying to perhaps identify their own local issues with their Sonos controller App that they may want to address with their own local system, or perhaps report later to Sonos, so that they can get the issues fixed/prioritised, if that’s required. Sonos may be unaware of an issue seen, for example.

Simply switching to something else will rarely help to resolves the original issues seen. Much better to gather the data and report the issues first.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

It certainly may not help in some ways…and it may even hinder, any user trying to perhaps identify their own local issues with their Sonos controller App that they may want to address with their own local system, or perhaps report later to Sonos, so that they can get the issues fixed/prioritised, if that’s required. Sonos may be unaware of an issue seen, for example.

Simply switching to something else will rarely help to resolves the original issues seen. Much better to gather the data and report the issues first.

User can use both in parallel,  if they can afford the time to fault find sonos app, and not get frustrated and threaten to sell etc etc as we see on here every day, agreed it’s only a “carry on playing now solution” really

User can use both in parallel,  if they can afford the time to fault find sonos app, and not get frustrated and threaten to sell etc etc as we see on here every day, agreed it’s only a “carry on playing now solution” really

I would maybe do the fault-finding first and report things seen, particularly as a lot of things have now been resolved for the majority, apart from the mentioned missing features (queue management/Sonos playlists etc.) If the new App is not functioning to setup/discover devices or play audio sources to them (just as examples), then Sonos may need to see what is causing that issue locally... such reports will likely help to prioritise things too - if we were all to switch to using other Apps and not use/identify the issues, then Sonos may not necessarily become aware of the problems that some are seeing.