Answered

Setting up new products on S2 while using old products on S1 - same wifi

• 30 November 2023
  • 3 replies

We have 2x Play 5s (Gen 1), a Play 3 and a Play 1. We want to add new gen speakers (a move and two Era 100s) but want to continue using the old ones as well.

I understand we will have to set up a second Sonos group using S2 (I think) and that they will not be in sync. Do we need a separate controller for each or can the S1 and S2 apps coexist on the same controller (iPhone 14s in this case)? What else should I do or watch out for! Thanks to those who've gone before.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 30 November 2023, 01:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

You will continue to use the S1 app to control your older speakers. But you will need to download the S2 app on the same phone to set up and control the new speakers.

Use both Apps on the same mobile controller device. I would simply power off your S1 speakers, install the S2 App and setup your new devices - Move/Era’s. Install the music services you need etc. then power on your S1 devices.

Use the S1 App to control/play audio etc. to your older devices and use the S2 App for the newer generation products.

Note too: that you can if you wish also later add your older Play:3 and Play:1 devices to the S2 App aswell, as those Sonos speakers are S2 compatible.

Thanks! After a lot of searching, I couldn’t locate a succinct answer like this one!