Recommended music - other than classical and pop

I am not sure there is a thread on what Sonos is truly about - the music, so this might be an interesting thread. I have left out classical because that deserves a thread of its own and modern pop because it all sounds the same to me.
I have Phil Keaggy strumming Solitude from his Acoustic Sketches album right now in the bedroom on a play 1 pair and sounding very good indeed.
Recently heard and equally good music and mastering:
1. Michel Petrucciani and NHOP
2. Beyond the Missouri Sky - Metheny and Haden
3. Chiaroscuro - Fresu and Towner
4. Jan Johannsen - Jazz pa Svenska
5. The Astounding Eyes of Rita - Anouar Brahem
6. Last Dance/Jasmine - Jarrett and Haden
7. Saturday Morning - Ahmad Jamal
8. Melos - Paolo Fresu
All but the last are ITunes 256kbps purchases, the last a lossless CD rip.
Very little lost in translation for the lossy thing and Sonos convenience.
Any recommendations on similar music that uses the silence between the notes effectively?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

333 replies

But the focus was too much on equipment and not the music.
What I like about Sonos is that it's 'good enough'.

That is why I started this thread; there is too much worrying about the state of the finger pointing to the moon here as in most other such fora, losing sight of the moon in the process. And Sonos is more than good enough I have found - properly set up it is in the HiFi class for audio. What can mar the experience is still inherent in the state of wireless tech where music play minus stuttering or interruptions can still be a challenge at times, but Sonos meets these challenges better than most of the competition.
Badge +2
But the focus was too much on equipment and not the music.
What I like about Sonos is that it's 'good enough'.

That is why I started this thread; there is too much worrying about the state of the finger pointing to the moon here as in most other such fora, losing sight of the moon in the process. And Sonos is more than good enough I have found - properly set up it is in the HiFi class for audio. What can mar the experience is still inherent in the state of wireless tech where music play minus stuttering or interruptions can still be a challenge at times, but Sonos meets these challenges better than most of the competition.
Badge +2
Kumar - you're a poet!
Badge +2
Thanks for sharing, Zigzag2.
+1 to that; it is a lot of new music to be explored over the coming days, so thanks for that, I have Richter's new Vivaldi playing as I write this. And a combination of Sonos + Apple Music (in my case) makes it so easy to do this exploring - these are truly the best of times for home audio. For every abuse of social media and smart phones, there is this upside to the tech of today.

As to the Rita album, I find Brahem's La Pas Du Chat Noir album to be just as enjoyable. Mystic Jazz is a good description I read somewhere for it.
Badge +2
While listening with great enjoyment to Brahem's 'Black Cat' album I was reminded in one section of another excellent album track 'A Rainbow in Curved Air' by Terry Riley. Repetitious and hypnotic - but it's not everyone's cup of tea!

An easier listen and with a recording quality I've rarely heard bettered is 'Buddy Holly - The Original Master Tapes'. Not available on Spotify, I bought the CD on Amazon and made a FLAC recording to a NAS drive.

Finally as a follow-up to the Max Richter recommendation may I recommend a series that was shown recently on Sky Atlantic here in the UK: 'My Brilliant Friend' adapted from the novel of that name by Elena Ferrante. It's just fabulous and has a wonderful soundtrack by Max Richter which is available separately. I've watched all 8 episodes three times it's that good and the Richter's soundtrack through the Sonos Beam with surround sound is musical nirvana.
Badge +2
New Recommendation: Musica Nuda - Live a FIP.
Jazzmeia Horn is the real deal.

Diahann Carroll (RIP) with The Andre Previn Trio. Didn't follow her career, but this early album with the always excellent Previn is a delight for vocal jazz fans.