Purchase date from Serial Number

• 14 October 2023
  • 7 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone,

How can I investigate about the purchase date with a serial number of a Sonos One?

Many thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

The serial number alone will not tell you the purchase date, but it will tell you the manufacture date. For example, “D101 1810C” means the device was manufactured October 2018.

Userlevel 7

You can’t.

The first four digits of serial number are YY/MM of manufacture.

Therefore the purchase date cannot be before the manufacture date, but that doesn’t confirm when the device was actually purchased.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I purchased several Sonos from Best Buy that were over a year from the manufacture date. They also had heat damage from sitting in a shipping container over a Phoenix summer.

Sonos was very understanding (but not happy) once I sent them copies of the data plates and matching Best Buy receipts. They reset all my warranties to the actual purchase date.

The serial number alone will not tell you the purchase date, but it will tell you the manufacture date. For example, “D101 1810C” means the device was manufactured October 2018.

Thanks for your feedback.

last question: there is a place in the Sonos website where you can find if a serial number i is original (or not)?

many thanks, 

p

You can’t.

The first four digits of serial number are YY/MM of manufacture.

Therefore the purchase date cannot be before the manufacture date, but that doesn’t confirm when the device was actually purchased.

last question: there is a place in the Sonos website where you can find if a serial number i is original (or not)?

many thanks, 

p

many thanks, 

p

I’m not sure why you would suspect a serial as being unoriginal.  There’s not that big a market for counterfeit Sonos devices, is there?

No, there is no online resource that can be used to verify full serial numbers.