Answered

nuances of upgrading hardware components of a split s1/s2 system

• 11 October 2023
  • 1 reply

SHORT VERSION

I will soon do a hardware upgrade of the S1-only components of a Sonos system that is currently split between S1 and S2, and want to unify those separate systems into a single S2 system. What is the correct process for doing this, particularly in regards to when I add the new components?

The online documentation I have found does not directly address some of the concerns I mention in the long version. In several places it just says to follow the prompts, but that gives no overview of what to expect.

LONG VERSION

My current Sonos configuration consists of:

• S1-only compatible components running S1: Play:5 (Gen 1) x2, Connect:Amp (Gen 1)

• S1/S2 compatible components running S1: Move, Play:1

• S2-only compatible components running S2: Roam

I have ordered hardware upgrades for the Play:5s and Connect:Amp (Fives and an Amp), but am unsure of the best process for unifying the separate systems into a single S2 system.

The only step I feel certain of is using the Product Removal Tool to remove the Play:5s (Gen 1) and Connect:Amp (Gen 1) from the S1 system before upgrading the remaining components to S2.

QUESTIONS

1) Since the Amp is S1/S2 compatible, what version will it come factory-installed with? I assume that if it comes with S1, I need to add it to the S1 system before doing the software upgrade.

2) When I upgrade the Move and Play:1 (and potentially the Amp) to S2. will it detect that I already have an existing S2 system and prompt me to add those components to that? Or will it automatically create another, new S2 system?

3) When is it best to add the new Fives (and potentially the Amp) to the S2 system? Before upgrading the S1/S2-compatible components to S2? or after?

Thanks for any insights! I’m a bit worried of ending up in a state that requires a marathon-length support call to correct.

icon

Best answer by ratty 11 October 2023, 16:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

All new products come with S2 installed. 
Discard your old S1-only kit and uninstall all S1 apps. 
Start your S2 app, and make you can see your S2 devices.
Power up the new products. Either they’ll pop up automatically in the app or just use Settings/System/Add Product. 
Factory reset any existing products from the S1 system compatible with S2 and add them too.
You will of course lose any Sonos Playlists on the old S1 system.