Skip to main content
Question

Non-Sonos app to control Sonos speakers

• 14 June 2024
  • 3 replies

I gave up on the new Sonos app yesterday and purchased the app called Sonophone. It seems to have stability and functionality that Sonos has jettisoned. Okay to use this app? What are the downsides? Can we ask Sonos to reimburse us for the app purchase price?

3 replies

1. Yes. 
  2. The old API will eventually go away.
  3. Now you are just being silly. 
Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I gave up on the new Sonos app yesterday and purchased the app called Sonophone. It seems to have stability and functionality that Sonos has jettisoned. Okay to use this app? What are the downsides?

One precaution that you might want to take, if you decide that Sonophone will work for you: make sure that you turn off all updates from within the Sonos app. That way you should never get any firmware “updates”, which should eliminate the possibility of Sonos changing the API that your system uses.

I’ve done this - having reverted to the older version of the app (v. 16.1) - and I don’t ever expect to update the app again, as it does what I want it to. The only potential downside is that I won’t ever be able to add any new Sonos devices (because in all probability a new device would have a newer firmware version installed) but that doesn’t matter to me - I don’t intend to ever buy any more Sonos equipment.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yes. Will personally stick with the new bug ridden app for now till we see if Sonos can fix it but in the meantime the planned purchase of a pair of era300’s are well on the back burner for the foreseeable future.