Do NOT want TuneIn!

• 9 December 2021
  • 6 replies

I listen to somaFM continuously. It is listener-sponsored streaming radio, meaning that I make regular donations to keep them on the air.

I used to be able to just put the URL in Sonos and play somaFM streams. But now it must go through TuneIn, meaning that someone else is making money from somaFM’s free streams. This is unethical, because there is ZERO value-add.

Oh, and the ads are ridiculous, annoying, and make me want to ditch my Sonos and get AppleOne.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

hi @Atomische while I could understand your frustration, you may discard TuneIn, install the SomaFM Player and use AirPlay - would that work for you?

hi @Atomische while I could understand your frustration, you may discard TuneIn, install the SomaFM Player and use AirPlay - would that work for you?

Interesting idea!

I do have the somaFM player, but AirPlay does not see my Sonos system.

which Sonos speakers do you have?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I listen to somaFM continuously. It is listener-sponsored streaming radio, meaning that I make regular donations to keep them on the air.

I used to be able to just put the URL in Sonos and play somaFM streams. But now it must go through TuneIn, meaning that someone else is making money from somaFM’s free streams. This is unethical, because there is ZERO value-add.

Oh, and the ads are ridiculous, annoying, and make me want to ditch my Sonos and get AppleOne.

Hey Atomische! Big fan of SomaFM here as well.

Whenever you are listening to a station on TuneIn (either through TuneIn, or through Sonos Radio), TuneIn does usually add pre-roll ads. If you want to skip using TuneIn and source your stream from SomaFM directly, you can do that, as long you have the stream URL.

Instructions here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/260

SomaFM actually has their own page explaining how to do this, along with the appropriate stream URL’s here: https://somafm.com/listen/sonoscustom.html

I hope this helps!

For manually added URLs the TuneIn 'My Radio Stations' menu is just a convenient wrapper, for legacy reasons. The URLs are stored locally and don't go through TuneIn. There are no TuneIn ads. 

You can even add the URLs to 'My Radio Stations', instance them into My Sonos, then remove the TuneIn service afterwards. The shortcuts will still work. 

Seems somewhat amusing, since TuneIn’s HQ is in SOMA as well.