Skip to main content

2024 New Sonos App: Sonos Software Has Devolved from Excellent to Failure. Fire Sonos CEO ASAP!

I've been a proud loyal Sonos user and promoter for nearly 10 years. 

Sonos 2024 New App is a complete failure !!! 

Return the previous Sonos S2 Controller App ! 

Fire who ever is responsible for releasing the new app before it is ready!

I had planned to significantly expand my Sonos system this year, that plan is canceled, and I will be replacing my Sonos system with a system from a responsible organization. 

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Aye - it’s not been good and there’s been a lot of perceived general arrogance towards their customers base on the part of Sonos management. However things are slowly improving and this customer holds faith that they will get it right - eventually!! 

Userlevel 1

Spot on!, totally pissed off with Sonos…...

Userlevel 2

Got the boilerplate “apology” letter today from Patrick Spence. Here was my reply:

Mr. Spence:

Thank you for your letter regarding the problems and fixes with the upgraded Sonos app. I have been  a loyal Sonos customer for almost fifteen years; I live in a large house and have accumulated, over the years, over twenty speakers for a full house sound system. I must say this has been a very difficult time as a Sonos user. Was this app not beta-tested? Have you done a deep dive, root cause analysis on this disastrous rollout, to determine how this could have happened? Will you share any results with your customers and would-be customers?
In my experience in organizations, responsibility for flawed initiatives, however technical, ultimately lies with leadership. I understand there have been calls for you and your leadership team to resign. I hope you do the right thing and not throw your subordinates “under the bus”. 
I hope to remain a Sonos customer, but the future no longer seems so bright. 

Userlevel 3

amell, well said!

Apparently, beta-testing for the 2024 Sonos App was neglected by Sonos Leadership, as it was a colossal failure!

I am confident that a poll of Sonos Users would clearly indicate a sentiment of "No Confidence" for Sonos Leadership. 

I totally agree. 
I cannot get me speakers to slay the same thing and for some reason the system does not recognise my Apple Music subscription so I can’t play ANY of my own music. Only Sonos Radio. That’s all I can play on my system at the moment. 
the app takes forever to load up anything with playlists or album covers. It’s absolutely ridiculous. Something that has been SO great is not SO useless. 

Disgruntled Sonos user. 

I’m curious as to what Sonos Support said, when you called in?

Sonos Support were useless for me. Only good news is for people with older components you can now downgrade to S1 which works (from about 4 days ago). Was painful to downgrade and has some security issues with older tech standards for NAS network connections but now works on S1 

I bought my first Play One in 2012.  My house is filled with Sonos products.  I’ve never been so disappointed in the last 11+ years with this app situation.  I’m also amazed that the CEO didn’t take more personal responsibility and he spread the blame over all of the “apologetic employees” that warned them about this…. This was a failure of management all the way up to the CEO.  His letter is disappointing to say the least.  Really, they put out stuff months too early and with numerous updates they still don’t allow me to add speakers or control the volume at more than a snails pace?  It’s August and they released in May, and have updates scheduled into October and beyond…this is very telling.  Pathetic and short sighted.

His letter was filled with Corp speak and showed no ownership !   Terrible company and they have lost my confidence.  Years to create a great reputation  and overnight is been destroyed !

Hello, 

It's worster update after update... Since version 80.06.04-release+20240801.4ae19ff, I've even no more access to my system with 6 rooms. Event Spotify is no more viewing my speakers 😥

Any advise at least for workaround ?

And please roll back or fix it now🤞

Samuel