Answered

Repeating parts of BBC radio station

• 10 October 2020
  • 23 replies

Since the S1/S2 app split, I've noticed that throughout the day the Radio 2 feed will suddenly jump back by approximately 30 seconds and then repeat what you have just been listening to. I am using S1 software. 

I have submitted a diagnostic about 2 minutes after the last incident of this fault, confirmation number is 728377785. 

icon

Best answer by Xander P 3 March 2021, 14:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

We have the same issue on the S2 software

Ditto

Happened about 10 mins ago. Diagnostics sent 709506317

It has been happening to me too. This diagnostic taken shortly after one of these 'repeats'. Is this the stream or is this Sonos? Or something weird that the BBC are doing that Sonos doesn't like (wouldn't be the first time)?

Confirmation number: 730550935.

I am getting this on S2 on play 5 and play 1 and Beam.

is Sonos doing anything about this ?, never had this problem on S1.

It may not be a Sonos issue, it may be an issue with the BBC. Before rushing to judgement and condemning one or the other companies, let’s see what the analysis of his diagnostic shows. 

Userlevel 1

Has anybody had an update on this?  It doesn’t happen for us when streaming music, just the radio (2)

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

i too have noticed this a few times when listening to radio via sonos s1.

Same problem for me. Again, running S2.it only seems to be on BBC radio 2

As already reported same problem here, many time a day; my wife is losing patience with it!

Diagnostic taken immediately after one of these episodes, on ‘Dining Room’ speaker.

Please would somebody take a look at this diagnostic?

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi folks.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out. I apologize for the late response. The diagnostic provided does not show any failure on Sonos’ end. It may possibly be a cause of the music service’s server (server overload) due to high service demand.

I would like to ask do other BBC radio station works or does it affect all BBC radio. 

I would like to ask if we can follow the workaround on this issue by following the steps below to check if this would help.

We first need to use the Sonos application on a computer then go to the manage menu and select "add radio station" then can we paste the streaming link in the URL box and give the station a name, probably append it with the word "temp" or something so you can differentiate it from the regular version. Then this link will appear under "my stations". The reliability of the alternative links can vary too, but it does allow us to have a temporary alternative while we isolate if the issue still persists even if we add the URL of the station directly to Sonos skipping the music partner (TuneIn).

Please let us know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Same issue when listening BBC Radio 2. The station jumps back 10 seconds or so, I have only recently experienced this issue. 

TuneIn with Sonos 2 Version 12.2.1 Build 61183100

The reply from @Paul A strongly suggests that Sonos is just playing what it receives and that the fault lies in the stream.  I shall try listening via an Echo device for a while to see if it crops up there, but I have had this issue only infrequently and so its absence won’t conclusively prove anything (although its presence would).  If anyone else is willing to make this sacrifice it might help us get to the nature of the problem quicker!

Hi folks.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out. I apologize for the late response. The diagnostic provided does not show any failure on Sonos’ end. It may possibly be a cause of the music service’s server (server overload) due to high service demand.

I would like to ask do other BBC radio station works or does it affect all BBC radio. 

I would like to ask if we can follow the workaround on this issue by following the steps below to check if this would help.

We first need to use the Sonos application on a computer then go to the manage menu and select "add radio station" then can we paste the streaming link in the URL box and give the station a name, probably append it with the word "temp" or something so you can differentiate it from the regular version. Then this link will appear under "my stations". The reliability of the alternative links can vary too, but it does allow us to have a temporary alternative while we isolate if the issue still persists even if we add the URL of the station directly to Sonos skipping the music partner (TuneIn).

Please let us know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Can you explain this exactly ? Isn’t this just adding the same Radio 2 link.

it would help if you gave examples

thanks

David

I was in the garage today listening to BBC Radio 2 off air via FM radio and I got a 10 second repeat of the same dialogue/speech, very surprised.  I’ve been getting the same streaming issues on Sonos.  It seems to me that music plays ok on Sonos, but as soon as a passage of speech or interview off air .. it repeats, sometimes 10 or more seconds (very intermittent).   Music streams ok from my iMac on my Sonos, no problems on all my speakers so I’m thinking it must be the BBC.  Don’t know if it’s the FM or DAB feed from the BBC that TuneIn streams.  Logic tells me it’s the BBC as all the other music plays fine as do other stations.

Guess it’s actually Radio 2 that has the issue as it’s just happened on Sonos (S1) here not for the first time but it also has happened on a DAB radio I’ve been using while working outside.

I have same issue on Scala Radio streaming on both Alexa and Naim system, Radio 4 does it too.

I get the same thing too several times a day listening to BBC Radio 2...driving me mad!

It has been happening to me for months, several times a day on BBC Radio 4. Has just happened twice in the space of an hour or so. I have never observed this with Amazon Echo dot devices. Very annoying. Please sort this out Sonos.

I have this problem with BBC Radio 3. It involves a jumpback of about 10 seconds. It is not a jarring break it is just a spoken phrase being seamlessly repeated. I have not noticed it happening while music is playing but that is probably because would I notice a repeated phrase of orchestral music. 

I am listening on my Beam through BBC Sounds requested via Alexa. Tomorrow I will try tuning via our Sony TV and see if I get the same problem. 

I have the same on SONOS One with BBC R2 via SONOS Radio and Alexa. Thankfully it always seems to skip back and not forward or we would miss bits. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi everyone, thanks for raising this with the Sonos Community :)

I’ve posted regarding this in another thread on the Community, which you can find here; 

To keep everything in the same place, I’ll go ahead and close this thread - feel free to take a look at, and post in the thread linked above.