Answered

BBC Podcasts will not play on Sonos using Spotify App

• 11 January 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
  • Collaborator I
  • 21 replies

Hi, I have discussed with Spotify the fact that you cannot play Spotify provided BBC Podcasts on Sonos speakers. All other podcasts I have tried to play from Spotify work no problem, but with BBC podcasts all Sonos devices are greyed out. This is not unique to me or to Sonos it seems (see the discussion here).

Spotify has said they are working the issue, I wondered if Sonos was aware?

Is this the BBC controlling where their content is played again, even though this content has been licensed by Spotify?

icon

Best answer by BoredofBalham 11 January 2021, 18:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

It is the BBC controlling their licensed output through a third party - not allowing streaming onwards to protect the BBC licensing of their original  material. How are they to know if your streaming into something else does not provide a global feed?

Just like how you can’t stream from device to your television content from providers e.g. Sky. 

There is nothing unusual in this.

BBC Sounds works OK with Airplay.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@BoredofBalham - Ok, I see your reasoning.

The same BBC podcasts are available on Stitcher, and I can play them on Sonos so I will go back to using that.