Wifi without internet?/

• 10 November 2022
  • 5 replies

When I bought my system, I was mis-informed by the store I purchased at. I was told wi-fi was needed for initial setup, but not to use system.  I have the Beam Sound Bar hooked to TV in a camper. I have 2 TV’s linked together on opposite ends. I purchased the Move(s) to accompany the sound bar. Works fine together when I have internet, but when I have no internet, the moves will not connect. I spoke with a friend about this, and I was informed that there are devices that can create an “internal” type wi-fi without a connection to the internet. Would something like this work with a Sonos system? I would like to add the sub mini to the system if it will connect. 

Thank you in advance for your help!! 

5 replies

When I bought my system, I was mis-informed by the store I purchased at. I was told wi-fi was needed for initial setup, but not to use system.

Well, the Moves can operate off bluetooth, once they are setup so no WiFi needed there.  And your Beam gets audio from the TV and would not need WiFi  for that audio source.   So not complete incorrect. 

I have the Beam Sound Bar hooked to TV in a camper. I have 2 TV’s linked together on opposite ends. I purchased the Move(s) to accompany the sound bar. Works fine together when I have internet, but when I have no internet, the moves will not connect. I spoke with a friend about this, and I was informed that there are devices that can create an “internal” type wi-fi without a connection to the internet. Would something like this work with a Sonos system? I would like to add the sub mini to the system if it will connect. 

Any router should be fine really.  You could get a travel router but that is more designed to have a small size for travel, which won’t be a big issue for your camper.  When you do have internet, what are you using?

Also, if you get a sub mini, it should be setup bonded to the Beam.  That shouldn’t require a router to operate, but I’m not 100% sure on that.

Sonos is pretty clear about their requirements here.

Ultimately, you really need a device that provides IP addresses to all connected networked Sonos devices. 

I’ve never tried it, but to my knowledge, there’s a limited amount of “Sonos provides some connection” for stereo pairs, but I’d be loath to attempt a full home theater setup. Although you could try...at worst, all you’d need to do is add a simple travel router to your RV that provides DHCP service.

There’s a few members here who use Sonos in their RVs, perhaps one of them might speak up. 

When I bought my system, I was mis-informed by the store I purchased at. I was told wi-fi was needed for initial setup, but not to use system.

Well, the Moves can operate off bluetooth, once they are setup so no WiFi needed there.  And your Beam gets audio from the TV and would not need WiFi  for that audio source.   So not complete incorrect. 

I have the Beam Sound Bar hooked to TV in a camper. I have 2 TV’s linked together on opposite ends. I purchased the Move(s) to accompany the sound bar. Works fine together when I have internet, but when I have no internet, the moves will not connect. I spoke with a friend about this, and I was informed that there are devices that can create an “internal” type wi-fi without a connection to the internet. Would something like this work with a Sonos system? I would like to add the sub mini to the system if it will connect. 

Any router should be fine really.  You could get a travel router but that is more designed to have a small size for travel, which won’t be a big issue for your camper.  When you do have internet, what are you using?

Also, if you get a sub mini, it should be setup bonded to the Beam.  That shouldn’t require a router to operate, but I’m not 100% sure on that.

I agree and understand that the Moves are Bluetooth.  I guess I should have stated that the store explained it incorrectly for my intended purpose of using the moves together with the beam (without internet).  When we originally set it up (at home) we have my home internet. That is what is used. 

Just out of curiosity, which store gave you this incorrect information?

Their data was rather incorrect….in many ways.

1. The Moves can’t be used as “surround speakers” with any Sonos soundbar. If on a network, the can be “grouped” together, although there would likely be at least ~75ms delay between the sound bar and the “grouped” rooms
  2. There are no Sonos soundbars that have Bluetooth, either a receiver or a sender (some have BLE, a different kind of thing used for setup, not streaming music)
  3. Sonos needs a network backbone to sit on

I hate to be pedantic, but at least in my experience, sales people are often more interested in the total money in the transaction than they are about knowing the systems they’re selling to you. Unfortunate, to be sure. But I do know that in general, anyone working at Best Buy can’t be trusted to know what they’re talking about. There are probably a few who do, but the vast majority don’t. Again, IMHO. They’re just not given the opportunity to be experts in any one thing, since they sell such a wide variety. 

Edit: OK, probably I don’t hate that much to be pedantic, as other folks in this forum will attest to :)

Just out of curiosity, which store gave you this incorrect information?

Best Buy - this person seemed to be very knowledgeable, another employee brought him over as an expert. (Clearly wrong)

Their data was rather incorrect….in many ways.

1. The Moves can’t be used as “surround speakers” with any Sonos soundbar. If on a network, the can be “grouped” together, although there would likely be at least ~75ms delay between the sound bar and the “grouped” rooms

They did not state it would be surround, but like you say grouped.

There are no Sonos soundbars that have Bluetooth, either a receiver or a sender (some have BLE, a different kind of thing used for setup, not streaming music) 

Soundbar was not advertised/stated as Bluetooth

1. Sonos needs a network backbone to sit on 

I hate to be pedantic, but at least in my experience, sales people are often more interested in the total money in the transaction than they are about knowing the systems they’re selling to you. Unfortunate, to be sure. But I do know that in general, anyone working at Best Buy can’t be trusted to know what they’re talking about. There are probably a few who do, but the vast majority don’t. Again, IMHO. They’re just not given the opportunity to be experts in any one thing, since they sell such a wide variety. 

Understood - In general, I have had very good luck at Best Buy over the years, but I agree that they need to know enough about such a wide variety of products that they are not necessarily experts in all.

Edit: OK, probably I don’t hate that much to be pedantic, as other folks in this forum will attest to :)