Answered

Volume control on Apple TV (Sonos ARC)

• 13 September 2022
  • 11 replies

I updated my iPhone and Apple TV to iOS 16 and tvOS 16 yesterday. Since then, I can no longer control the volume of my Sonos ARC via my iPhone (with the built-in Apple TV control). Until yesterday I could do that without any problems. I’ve changed nothing other than updating those two OS.

Seems like several people on Reddit are having this problem. Is there anyone here where the volume control still works after updating to iOS/tvOS 16?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 September 2022, 16:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Odd. I’ve updated two Apple TV’s with TVOS16, and not had any difficulty, either with my Apple TV remote, or a Logitech Harmony remote. Both systems are using Vizio TVs. 

Hmmm, I misread your post. I, too, am unable to turn on my TV set with the ‘remote’ on my iOS 16 iPhone. My suspicion is, that this is a bug in iOS 16, and not within Sonos, since my ‘physical’ remotes work without issue. 

And, to confirm further, the iOS 16 ‘remote’ feature also doesn’t appear to be sending volume commands to the Apple TV, which would normally be sent across CEC/ARC to the TV set to be routed to the Sonos device. Again, since the the physical remotes work without issue, my guess is this is an Apple issue, and not one ‘owned’ by Sonos. 

I’m having the same issue.   Apple remote volume worked  for a year and now the remote all of a sudden not changing the volume on my Arc setup.   Everything else is working.  Can also still controll volume on my app.

Strangely, my other 4k Apple TV remote is still working fine using the Beam. 

Still seems like an Apple issue, not a Sonos issue. The remote is not sending the appropriate signal to the Apple TV, which is not then communicating with the CEC controller in the TV set, which is not passing the data on to the Sonos Arc/Beam via ARC. 

Can confirm this started with tvOS 16. It no longer works on an iOS 15 phone where it used to, ever since the Apple TV was updated.

Same here, Apple TV remote volume button worked for years but with tvos16 it seems the remote doesn’t sync to sonos - anyone aware of a fix? 

The one thing I’ve noticed ‘new’ with TVOS 16 is the sound gets out of sync with the video when using the Hulu app. Not sure if it’s actually TVOS 16 related, or related to the recent update to The Hulu app. Going back to the ‘menu’ in Hulu, then back to the show seems to resolve it. Happens both with ‘live’ TV and ‘recorded’ shows. But this wouldn’t be a Sonos issue, but either Apple or Hulu’s, so I will contact them. 

newbie here. got 2 LG tvs and connected to arc this week! LG has ARC and HDMI-CEC( starlink) enable, and it won’t allow me to get volume bar wokring. 

Sonos doesn’t control the display of the volume bar. That’s the software in the TV set. You may want to check with LG. 

TMM1 and I have exactly the same issue. One TV LG working perfectly, the other stopped managing volume control about a week or so ago. Only difference is one is an Arc tv connection and the other is optical. Tried everything. Sonus people, may not be your fault but you need to figure it out for us. I love the sound of my Sonus products, but as my daughter who is in tech said, “Sonus products suck.” and it precisely for these types of reasons.