Vizio TV PCM Stereo only

• 8 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Good morning everyone.

New Sonos user here. Just received my Arc, Sub, and 2 OneSL’s yesterday. Hooked everything up and I am pretty impressed so far. I am coming from a bulky klipsch/denon setup, and while it sounded good, we had a little living room refresh, and this was the best solution. 

My issue:

Vizio tv-E601I-A3 60 inch (from 201-too old?). Spectrum cable box. Samsung blu-ray.

The issue that I am experiencing, is when playing a blu-ray (mad max: fury rd) the app says that I am in PCM Stereo. I plugged the tv into the ARC port (hdmi 1-no EARC). I tried all the different audio settings on my tv and blu-ray with no change. Interestingly, sound still comes from the back speakers while the movie is playing. But the app does not show 5.1 or ATMOS at all. TV too old?

While on my cable input, I get 5.1 from that, but I am not sure if my cable box is forcing that to happen.

The tv is still really nice. 4k, 120hz. I hate to buy another one just to have my surrounds work properly, but sinking 2k into a sound system to not have it work the way its supposed to, isnt ideal either. 

Help me exhaust all of my options first. Appreciate any help!

(Side note-I did buy a new tv for my bedroom-Sony XR50X90J that I can pull out of there and test on, just might be a pain in the rear.) 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What options do your TV and BD-player have for sound?

Userlevel 7

@jlb2782 It looks like that Vizio TV model is from 2012 which is too old to pass through lossless 5.1 audio from a Blu-ray player. That model TV is only 1080p, not 4K. Also, if you want to play Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos from a Blu-ray disc, you need a TV equipped with eARC. The X90J in your bedroom does have eARC.

What model Blu-ray player do you have?

Thanks for the reply everyone. As far as the audio settings, I’m not sure what they are, I can check when I get home. With that said, looks like the tv is too old. Not sure why I said 4K, I meant 1080, but still. Not sure I was in the market for another new tv hahha. 

Also, idk what model blu-ray player I have, but I will check when I get home. Will it matter what blu ray? I know it is a Samsung bought a few years ago. I’ll have to check.