Using Sonos with home cinema setup

• 5 April 2023
  • 2 replies

I have just updated my old Yamaha AVR for a Denon 2800. My TV output is to a projector and Sonos Playbar (+Sub + 2x Play1). I have used an HDMI splitter for the past six year to separate the output from the AVR into video to the projector via an HDMI cable and the audio to the Playbar via an optical cable.

When I installed the new Denon AVR I intended to use the same projector and Sonos system so connected to the two, via the same splitter box, to the Denon output as I had it previously. The picture quality is fine but I cannot get the sound to work at all.

I have spoken to both Denon and Sonos technical support but neither are able to help or suggest what I might try. Can anyone in this community help please?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I would guess that your Denon isn’t sending audio along with the video via HDMI.    Not too surprising consider A/V receiver is designed to play audio itself, not pass it on to a projector or receiver.

Why are you using a receiver at all if you are playing audio via a Sonos soundbar? 

For those interested in a solution it’s an Avantree HAX04 HDR HDMI Audio Extractor. This lets you take the audio portion of your AVR’s HDMI ARC signal output and send it to a home theater system using a HDMI connection to the projector and optical to the SONOS surround sound system via the Playbar.