Using Playbar with Samsung Smart TV - QN85Q70AAFXZA

• 15 December 2021
  • 6 replies

I have the 2021 Samsung QN85Q70AAFXZA Smart TV I am trying to connect to my Playbar.  The remote is either RF or Bluetooth, but as far as I can tell does not have IR.  The web, and an older SONOS post, implies that you can indeed do this, but I cannot make it work.  I have tried everything I can find, but no luck.  I’m unsure how it would even work, honestly, since I don’t know what would emit the IR signal the Playbar needs to work.

I’m looking for any options that would get me to an answer.  We like the style of remote that came with the TV, but we’d even be ok if there was another genuine Samsung remote (or one that style) that worked.

Any help is appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Not sure if this helps at all, but perhaps see this link:

https://www.samsung.com/in/support/tv-audio-video/samsung-smart-tv-how-to-set-up-the-universal-remote-control/

Basically you need to set the SAMSUNG remote to control an A/V receiver, then train PLAYBAR to use those IR commands for Volume and Mute. The model number given for the A/V receiver is arbitrary, but it would be inconvenient to pick a model that is within IR range.

The SAMSUNG remote doesn’t appear to have IR.  The approach you (Buzz) points to is what I’ve been trying.  But to the best of my ability to figure out, there is no IR in the remote.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Most recent Samsung TV's use a bluetooth remote. The TV itself can be set to act as an ir transmitter though. The remote will send a bluetooth signal to the TV, which will send an ir command to an external device. This way my 2019 QE65Q90 controls my TV providers’ settopbox.

This is the manual for your TV:

https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202106/20210624133023578/OSNATSCA-6.0.0_EM_OSCAR_USA_ENG_210608.0.pdf

The manual says the following about the Universal Remote Control function:

“Controlling External Devices with a Samsung Remote Control - Using the Universal Remote Control the TV and connected external devices with a Samsung remote control. Source Universal Remote You can control external devices connected to the TV using a Samsung remote control. To control external devices, register them by following the instructions on the screen. This function may not be supported depending on the model or geographical area. You can also use the Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) function to operate external Samsung devices with your TV's remote control without any additional setup. For more information, refer to "Using Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)." Specific external devices connected to the TV may not support the universal remote feature. Do not place any obstacles in front of an external device and TV's logo. It may cause improper transmitted signals from the remote control. The TV memorizes both the external device and its connection port (HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc.). If you have difficulty controlling external devices with the Universal Remote, try adjusting the positions of the external devices. This function may not operate properly depending on the TV installation environment and the features of external devices.”

Thank you for the reply 106rallye.  I’ll keep trying.  In terms of the message around the external device and it’s connection port, how do I address the fact that most of the services I’m trying to use are the internal ones to the TV.  So the Playbar is tied to the ‘optical’ output, but it’s not bound to a cable box or apple tv on HDMI1, HDMI2, etc?

I will have to see if it’s something as simple as LOS between devices.  I doubt it, but it’s certainly possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I'm only using this voor the non-CEC HDMI connected settopbox, so I can't help you on how to use this with an optical connection. You could just try it.