Skip to main content

Upgrading ZP80 connected to AV Receiver - surround sound

• 10 November 2023
  • 8 replies

I have a couple of old ZP120s and ZP80s in a system I am finally upgrading.

The ZP80 is connected to a traditional AV 5.1 surround sound AMP, with HDMI connections to TV/Sky/AppleTV etc.  The speakers are B&W with separate Sub and I would like to keep these..

Could I replace the AV amp and ZP80 with a new AMP, connected to the TV via HDMI and use the Sub and two front speakers from the AMP and, looking at the knowledge base, use one of my older ConnectAMP ZP120s for the rear speakers… set it up in S2 as a surround sound room ?..  if so, how do you deal with the front speaker?..  if at all?..  I you use a sound bar I think that disables the front surround speakers?..  I know one answer is to buy 2 new AMPS (front and back speakers, but it looks like I could use one of my legacy ConnectAmps as the rear speaker amp and save a bit of ££?..  Anyone done this or knows it would work?   Thanks..

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

You could use a ZP100/ZP120/Connect:Amp. but there must be a wired Ethernet connection to both the Connect:Amp and the device driving the fronts (soundbar or Amp).

Badge

Thanks @jgatie. That would work for me as the AMP and ZP120 would be next to each other… 

will be trying a new Amp and ConnectAmp this weekend and will hopefully confirm all ok…

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Connect amp could be S1 or S2, depending on it’s age. A ZP120 is S1 only. So, depending on what you want to use for your surrounds, you might need to downgrade the Amp to S1.

Badge

The support page says a ConnectAmp can be used for rear speakers of surround sound - as long as it is grouped with an AMP.  My system describes my ZP120s as Connect Amps?   Is a ZP120 and a ConnectAmp different?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The support page says a ConnectAmp can be used for rear speakers of surround sound - as long as it is grouped with an AMP.  My system describes my ZP120s as Connect Amps?   Is a ZP120 and a ConnectAmp different?

A ZP120 is a Connect:Amp. ZP120 is the model mumber.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

How I remember it, is that the ZP120 was renamed the Connect:amp.

Edit: confirmed here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonos

Badge

Thanks @106rallye  and @controlav.   That makes sense…. Hoping the Zp120 is up to the job..!   Hopefully will try tomorrow..

The next challenge will be connecting the TV, and the skybox….!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks @106rallye  and @controlav.   That makes sense…. Hoping the Zp120 is up to the job..!   Hopefully will try tomorrow..

The next challenge will be connecting the TV, and the skybox….!

Good luck with anything with “sky” in the name.