Answered

two amps to create a surround sound system

• 16 June 2023
  • 2 replies

I hired an av installer to setup my house that we were remolding.  In one of the rooms I told him that I wanted to setup a surround sound home theater.  He suggested and installed 4 x ceiling speakers and two sonos amps.  It has been a few months and I never felt like it sounded correctly, so I found an iOS app that would play test surround sound by playing to each speaker.  After doing this I discovered that the rear speakers play when sound is playing to all the speakers, but will not only play the left rear or right rear.  I don’t know if this is possible to have two amps in a surround sound setup.  If it is possible I haven’t been able to figure out to set this up.  Currently I have an eARC connection going from my TV to the front amp.  When I add the rear amp for surround sound it still plays the left/right rear sounds through the left/right front speakers.  This makes me feel like it isn’t possible to setup two amp in a surround sounds and that my best option is to add soundbar (probably an arc) and use the rear amp to get a 5.1 system.

Hopefully someone can help me out.  Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

icon

Best answer by buzz 16 June 2023, 07:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I suspect that your test signal is not appropriate or there is a setup issue with the TV.

First, let’s check for silly issues, such as miswiring. There are various ways to do this, a relatively simple first check is to remove the rear speakers from the surround setup, bond the two rear speakers into a stereo pair, creating two stereo “Rooms”, then make sure that all of the speakers are working independently. You should be able to play the two Rooms independently and have full control over L/R balance in each Room. I’d also like to check the wiring for correct “phase”. This means that the (+) terminal of each speaker is wired to a (+) terminal on the AMP’s. A very experienced person could simply listen to a simple system such as this and determine if the phase is correct, but I assume that this is not in your skillset (or we would not be having this conversation).

The best way to check phase is by connecting a flashlight cell to each speaker. At the instant of connection, the speaker cone should jump out. The speaker terminal connected to the (+) terminal of the battery should be marked as (+). This is the industry standard. Typically this will be the red terminal. I realize that this battery phase check is a bit of trouble and may require an assistant. 

Now that we are certain that the wiring is correct, break the stereo pair, and add the rear speaker AMP to the front AMP as surrounds.

Also, make sure that the TV is configured to deliver surround audio, not stereo.

As a general comment I don’t think that it is appropriate to use ceiling speakers as the front speakers in a surround system because they are not very close to the TV. Optimally, the front sound should seem to originate from the TV screen. Further, sound is emitted from a speaker in a conic pattern and the apex angle of the cone typically decreases with increasing frequency. This means that the highs from the ceiling speakers tend to be directed at the floor, not a typical listener. This lack of highs at my listening position and the disjointed sound/picture origin is not a fun situation for me. Also, in your installation, the front speakers are probably too far away from the TV to give a solid sense of “center” for the front sound.

Typical surround systems have left-center-right speakers in the front. When using two AMP’s there cannot be a real center speaker, but AMP will create a “virtual” center using the L/R front speakers. With excellent quality speakers, close to and centered around the TV an actual center channel is redundant. This is not your situation.

For me the “best” approach would be to add an ARC and ignore the two “front” ceiling speakers. An AMP can be assigned to the rear ceiling speakers. ARC will create two height channels for Dolby Atmos.

In the end only you know what sounds “best” (to you).

@buzz 

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I am lucky enough to have the finances to add the ARC, so that is the route I have taken.  Hopefully, someone will see this as a warring not to use two in ceiling speakers and use a soundbar along with an amp for a better surround sound experience.