Skip to main content

Tv remote can only turn volume up and down and turn of and on after connecting Beam

• 5 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi

I Just connected my beam g2 to my tv and paired my TCL remote to control the volume. But now my tv remote cant do anything other than turn off/on and volume on the speaker. Ive tried to recconect the remote to my tv but nothing changes. Was wondering if removing the remote from sonos could solve the issue but i dont know how.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Full disclosure: I’m not a TCL user.

As a test you could disconnect BEAM 2 from the TV to see if there is any kind of odd interaction over the HDMI cable. SONOS does not send any IR commands, but it can receive IR commands if you have set this up with the TCL remote. Usually, Volume commands are sent over the HDMI cable to BEAM as the TV receives Volume commands from its remote. This is usually an automatic pairing when the HDMI connection is established between TV and SONOS. If the TV is not capable of this, you can usually configure the TV remote to send IR Volume commands, then train BEAM 2 to respond to these commands.

Maybe rebooting the TV will help. 

I don’t much see the purpose in using infrared here. If I’m not mistaken, the TCL TV (voice) ‘remotes’ are often BT/RF linked to the TV.

If that is correct, then I would perhaps use CEC on the TV itself to control the volume of the connected Beam over its ARC/eARC port connection.