Skip to main content
Answered

tv and sonos amp 3rd party sub

• 7 October 2023
  • 7 replies

I am wanting to put a tv in the upstairs sitting area where we have sonos speakers. BUT I want a 3rd party sub, I have the gen3 and really am disappointed with it. I have an AMP running two Klipsch aw650s that are outside, for now, they are coming inside for the winter. I would like to mount the Klipsch in the upstairs sitting area and connect them to the amp, tv AND a svs sub that is also in the works. 

With hdmi arc, can I run that from the tv to the amp, then use the sub out for the sub, and use the Klipsch speakers? Will there be a delay or will it all work in time with the TV? I have two ones and two fives in this room (24’x12’). I am thinking of also taking the fives and putting them somewhere else and replace them with the Klipsch for the winter. Doing this, would I be able to go tv to AMP to the Klipsch and svs sub, and the ones for tv?

Sorry if this is confusing, but I don't want a sonos soundbar because I know I can't use the svs sub with that, and would like to sell my gen3 to help fund the svs sub. 

ETA, would I need a center channel speaker also connected to amp to make this all work right, if at all?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

First, the easy question. You can’t have a center speaker with the Sonos Amp, it will not provide that as a separate channel for you to split out. 

The rest of your post is a bunch of other thoughts,which are confusing to follow. I’ll respond to what I think you mean.

1. The TV set can send a HDMI ARC signal directly to the Amp, when properly connected.  This means your TV needs to be able to generate an ARC signal, and that needs to be connected to your Amp via HDMI.
  2. the SVS Sub can be run with a line level output from the front Sonos Amp when used in a home theater paradigm. It needs to be self powered, however, I.e. accepting a line level input. 
  3. you can use the Klipsch speakers as your ‘front’ speakers with the Amp, and they will create an interpolated center channel for you.
  4. you can only use one pair as surround speakers in this setup, either the pair of Ones, or the pair of Fives, I would recommend the Ones myself, and use the Fives as music speakers, ins different Sonos ‘room’ (which can be the same physical room). 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Ok thanks. No center that’s fine. 

So a 3rd party sub will work with the klipsch and the tv, using hdmi arc. Then group the ones with AMP? The tv then would be playing sound to the klipsch, svs sub and ones correct? 

Doing this, can I still use amp for music only grouped with ones? 

No, then bond the Ones as surrounds to the Amp, which is acting as the ‘front’ of your home theater room. Very different action than ‘grouping’, in Sonos’ world. Puts them in sync as surrounds, rather than delayed as a second room.

And you can continue to use the Amp for music, it will automatically include the Ones, although there is a setting in surrounds for Music that you should switch from Ambient to Full. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I do it through this screen, correct? And thank you for your help. I’m a little technically retarded. Then I’ll have the front’s, the ones and the sub all working together through the tv, and still be able to use it all as music, correct? I’m not trying to be dense. 

Yes, that’s where you’ll add the Ones as surrounds. Once they are set up, you’ll be able to go to that ‘room’ and select the surrounds for the extra setting I was suggesting. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

If I got a tv with two hdmi arc ports, could I connect the amp and a sonos soundbar and still use the 3rd party sub?

If I got a tv with two hdmi arc ports, could I connect the amp and a sonos soundbar and still use the 3rd party sub?

You likely won’t find a TV with two ARC ports, the standard is one.  Plus, a soundbar already has the front left and right channels, along with the center, and cannot substitute for just the center.