Toshiba Dolby Audio Output

• 16 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi All,

I recently picked up a Beam (Gen 2) and a pair of SYMFONISK to upgrade my home theater. Everything is connected and when playing sonos content via the app, I get sound coming from all of the speakers.

When I connect my ancient (pre-2010) Toshiba 40xf550u, I’m not getting surround sound from my PS5 or AppleTV. The Toshiba has two options for sound PCM and Dolby Digital. I’ve selected both it doesn’t seem to have an affect. I suspect that the Toshiba isn’t capable of sending the Dolby Digital despite saying it can, at least for HDMI sources. The only thing in the manual about limits on Dolby Digital out is the generic statement:

The DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminal may not output some digital audio sources because of copy restrictions.

Nothing in the manual indicates what those digital audio source limitations might be.  Is there a way to check in the Sonos app what type of audio is being received? 

I also tried an HDMI switch with audio out and had the same problem, but it’s one of the cheapest switches available, so I’m not surprised it didn’t work. Is there a recommended HDMI switch with optical audio out?

Thanks,
Ben

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Found where I can see the input received (Under Settings -> System -> About My System), and it says PCM 2.0 when connected to my TV, so it appears my TV can’t send Dolby Digital from HDMI sources.

Aside from the HDFury, is there a recommended eARC splitter for use with the Sonos?

Thanks,
Ben

Userlevel 7

Your TV model is too old to pass through 5.1 audio via HDMI.

You either need a new TV, preferably with eARC, or get an HDFury ArcanaFeintech VAX04101k, or OREI HDA-935.

I use the Arcana with my old Panasonic plasma from 2013 and it works great.

I’m using ARCANA on a cheap LG.

I am passing it via optical (which I failed to mention in my original post) and I suspect that the TV is limiting optical out to PCM 2.0 for license reasons. I was “this close” to buying a new TV with the LG C2s on clearance, but couldn’t justify giving up a perfectly functional TV that meets my needs. Maybe next year.

I ordered an AVFABUL and will see how well it works. If it doesn’t then I’ll look at the OREI HDA-935 as it has the built in switch that I need. Does anyone know if the remote for the OREI is IR based? I’d like to be able to integrate it into my Harmony Hub.

Thanks for the links all!

Ben

I got the AVFABUL today and hooked it up. Audio is working great, with Atmos coming from my Apple TV. A couple things I noticed:

1. I could only get Atmos by setting the EDID to 4K/7.1. Looking over the manual that seems the only way it is supported.
  2. When the EDID set to 4K/7.1, I had to configure the AppleTV and PlayStation 5 to 1080p video out, other wise it produced a washed out image. Setting the OUT1 and/or OUT2 switch to 1080P had no effect.
  3. I had to set the PS5 to Dolby 5.1 audio out, otherwise the audio (which SONOS indicated was 7.1 PCM) would not play out of the surround speakers.
  4. It takes a couple of seconds for the sound to come on when switching inputs. I did not notice any audio sync issues.
  5. Oddly, while my Harmony remote did not have a pre-programmed codes for the AVFABUL, but was able to determine the Power Toggle code. Not sure how that could happen, or if it was just luck.

I’ll play around with it for the next couple of weeks to see how it works.

Side note, I was looking at the OREI HDA-935 on the manufacture site. I put one in my basket to see what shipping would be (free standard shipping), but didn’t buy it. The next day they sent me a coupon for 15% off, which brings it to a couple dollars of the AVFABUL.

Ben