Answered

sync new direct tv Gemini air remote to sonos beam

• 6 January 2024
  • 5 replies

I am unable to sync the new Direct tv stream Gemini AIr remote to my Sonos Beam to control volume when playing music.

I spent an hour on the phone with Sonos tech support and the guy told me this new remote is not  compatible [which makes no sense]. He tried everything to help but could not get it to work.

My Samsung remote works fine but I don’t actually use it.

Can anyone help?? 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 7 January 2024, 01:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The remote doesn’t use infrared according to this article …

https://blog.solidsignal.com/tutorials/can-you-use-a-universal-remote-with-the-directv-gemini-air/

So you won’t be able to use it to control the Beam volume ‘directly’… you might though, if the Direct TV is capable of using the CEC protocol, be able to enable CEC on the device and have it control the volume of the Beam ‘indirectly’ via the TV HDMI-CEC link (called AnyNet+ on Samsung TV’s) but I’m not sure there is much point here, as presumably most folk would usually use their TV remote to change volume. Although if CEC is available on the Direct TV and enabled, I would expect it’s remote to also work via its connection to AnyNet+ but only whilst the TV is powered on and the Samsung TV input is set (in focus) to whichever HDMI port the Direct TV device is connected to.

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

Direct TV Stream provided me with the new Gemini Air dongle to replace the normal Gemini Box because of picture quality. It did improve picture substantially BTW!  

The old Gemini Box remote however did work with my Beam, so I find this strange. 

Any idea why this is so?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

Direct TV Stream provided me with the new Gemini Air dongle to replace the normal Gemini Box because of picture quality. It did improve picture substantially BTW!  

The old Gemini Box remote however did work with my Beam, so I find this strange. 

Any idea why this is so?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

No (sorry) .. not unless the old remote used infrared. Maybe speak to your provider and see if they can perhaps assist you, but you won’t be able to connect ‘directly’ to any Sonos HT product without an infrared remote and ‘indirectly’ you would need to go via the HDMI-CEC (protocol) connection via the TV. 

Thanks again and have a good evening!

You too…👍

I perhaps should have also mentioned (if not using already) that you can always adjust TV/Beam volume & on/off settings with Sonos Voice Control aswell, if you’re looking for various options to adjust the volume level etc.

See these support links…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/control-sonos-with-sonos-voice-control

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/list-of-voice-requests-for-sonos-voice-control