Skip to main content
Question

Sync Arc & Port Output via Group

• 10 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi All

I have a LG TV connected to the Arc with Era 300 surrounds & sub. This plays Dolby Atmos content very well. However I would like to add my main stereo amp and speakers to the mix because these are a much higher quality than the Arc. So I have a Port connected to the stereo amp and it’s in the same group as the Arc. It plays the same content however there is a timing issue between the port & arc which makes it impractical. I have played with all the sync delay setting on both as well as an added the arc to a wired network to get the benefits of the Sonos private network. Alas, not luck. 

Has anyone tried this before. Will it help if I used a Sonos Amp to drive the speakers directly instead instead of the Port + amp. NB, I don’t want to use it as surrounds but as synchronized from stereo speakers playing in sync with the arc while playing atmos (or any other) content.

4 replies

It is not possible.  Sonos Home Theater sets are maxed out with two surrounds and a Sub x2 or a Sub-Mini.  

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the reply. I am not trying to add the Port / Amp as surrounds because I have thrd e Era300s setup to do that. 

So the Amp works perfectly in a Group with the Arc to add my hifi speakers as additional stereo speakers on either side of the Arc. The Port probably had to do more processing and the chain to the speakers meant a delay. 

I’m chuffed to have my far superior Avantgarde Uno horns handle the stereo load while the Arc handles the other home theatre chores. 

Where there’s a will there’s a way 

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. I am not trying to add the Port / Amp as surrounds because I have thrd e Era300s setup to do that. 

So the Amp works perfectly in a Group with the Arc to add my hifi speakers as additional stereo speakers on either side of the Arc. The Port probably had to do more processing and the chain to the speakers meant a delay. 

I’m chuffed to have my far superior Avantgarde Uno horns handle the stereo load while the Arc handles the other home theatre chores. 

Where there’s a will there’s a way 

Cheers

Has nothing to do with the processing.  All grouped rooms will be delayed with TV sources due to the buffer needed to group stereo signals to other rooms.  The surrounds and sub(s) have a specially configured low latency 5 GHz direct connection to the Arc/Beam/Ray/Amp needed to sync with the video, but it isn’t reliable for grouped rooms because it won’t go through walls and floors.  The buffered 2.4 GHz connection used for music is more reliable, but the buffer causes the delay.

Besides that, the downmix to stereo in the grouped signal combines all channels, Left/Center/Right, Left/Right surrounds and Left/Right Atmos into Left and Right stereo, which would destroy any soundstage and/or surround/Atmos effects if played as Left/Right fronts.  In other words, your Left/Right “fronts” wouldn’t be actual fronts at all. 

Userlevel 1

Noted and thanks for the clarification.