Skip to main content
Answered

Surrounds via AMP not working (but works when not in surround)

• 13 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Ok I am having a weird issue here.  I have a sonos arc, sub, and amp.

Sonos arc and sub are connected via wifi.  I have an amp located the media closet that is hard wired to my network and it’s connected to in ceiling speakers

When I try to use the amp as surround, it doesn’t not work.  I tried changing music to full and increasing the volume but no luck.

If I remove the amp as surrounds, I can easily connect to it and play music, no issue.

I have tried to swap the amp, swap the arc, and even restart the network multiple times but no luck

Any idea whats going on and how to fix this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

The Arc would normally link to the Amp over a 5Ghz ‘direct’ ad-hoc WiFi connection when bonded, how far away is the Amp from the Arc and how many walls/floors etc. in-between? Are you able to wire your Sonos Arc too, preferably to the same switch/router as the Amp?

The AMP is a decent distance from the arc, in a different room (media closet is in the garage).

I can wire the arc to a MESH satellite to the same network if that will help --- I’ll give that a try.

Can I have the arc communicate with the amp over the network instead of the “direct” ad-hoc connection?

btw, when I have the surrounds added, they are recognized in the amp as ARC + LS + RS + Sub

again, even if that is the case, they do not play sounds if in surround mode

you’re absolutely right. when i wired the arc to the mesh satellite, everything is working!  Jeez….. I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out

Can you play music in the surround Room? When playing TV, what audio format is reported on the Now Playing screen?

Edit: Keep a close watch on things. Wiring to a mesh satellite does not always work well.

you’re absolutely right. when i wired the arc to the mesh satellite, everything is working!  Jeez….. I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out

I assume the Amp is out of wireless reach, but just to be sure, try both Amp/Arc on your WiFi (uncabled) ensuring the Amp’s Wifi adapter/radio is not switched off in its room settings …and just see what happens.

If no joy, you will need to either cable them both (it’s ideal to have them linked to the same switch), or bring the two devices closer together - which perhaps is not practical I guess, due to existing wiring. 

Solution to my problem: Connect arc to a wired connection to network.

you totally figured this out Ken.  I am just going to keep my amp and arc wired to the router/satellite as its working super well and reliable now.  Hope this thread helps someone else.

Feature request: option in app to force the system to either use its own ad-hoc network versus using the wireless connectivity.  Should be relatively easy → seems like my system was trying to use ad hoc to the amp and the amp was in the border of its reach

Can you play music in the surround Room? When playing TV, what audio format is reported on the Now Playing screen?

Edit: Keep a close watch on things. Wiring to a mesh satellite does not always work well.

It’s working great now.  TV/movies are in atmos.  Music is set to full, and all is well in this world! hahah

I spent over 20 hours trying to figure this out… from switching amps and arcs and whatnot!   I wish i could have those 20 hours back!