Answered

Surrounds and Sub Mini stopped working after 14.18

• Contributor I
  • 5 replies

My One SL surrounds and Sub Mini no longer work after 14.18. I've had Arc and surrounds for almost a year without issue, and got the Sub Mini last week. Trueplay gives me a "lost speaker" error as well. The One SLs work individually and also in a stereo pair. Things I've tried…

- Hard wiring Ethernet 

- Router reboots (Nest Wifi)

- Assigned IPs for all Sonos products

- Speaker reboots 

- Factory resets of everything, router included

- Unpairing, repairing

- Called Sonos support on 2 occasions 

One strange thing is that when playing music while surrounds are paired, the surrounds don't work but then suddenly work for half a second, then goes quiet again. Happens about once every 10 minutes. There's also a solo Beam in another room but I doubt that's causing any issues. 

I have no idea what to try any more. Open to any ideas or suggestions. Thank you!

Most recent diagnostic: 1240428764 (Only SLs connected for now to troubleshoot)

Moderator Note: Removed (but took note of) case number as it’s information used for identification.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 October 2022, 08:19

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @pslw 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

There is a high count of failed transmissions between the Arc and it’s satellites. Due to the strength of the signal coming from your WiFi, I think it likely that you have your router far too close to the Arc - please separate them by at least 1m.

I hope this helps.

Unfortunately I don't think that's the issue for 2 reasons.

- Router and Arc has been in same place since I bought the Arc without issue 

- When replaced with Sonos Beam in same exact location, the surrounds and sub play without issue 

Any other ideas? Thank you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @pslw 

I’m just going by empirical evidence. In all likelihood, your Arc was experiencing these issues before, but it wasn’t bad enough to manifest as a problem. Now, for whatever reason (probably the additional load of communicating with the Mini Sub too) has increased the error count to the point where problems arise. The Beam is a smaller, differently shaped device with different hardware - this might have been enough to mitigate the issue.

I notice that you didn’t deny that the router was close to the Arc - if it is, that is definitely the problem.

Any other ideas? Thank you! 

Nope, and you are very welcome!

I have the same problem after the update. One of the play1 does not connect , the other one and sub connects to the playbar. Tried everything possible. Looks like only a further software update can fix this. I switched off everything then put on the router first then the playbar, then the problematic play1 then the 2nd play1 and finally the sub after which it connected all but no sound came through the problematic play 1 . The play 1 works individually or as a stereo pair. Spent a lot of time trying to fox this but no chance 

I’m not honestly sure what ‘tried everything possible’ really means. Obviously, you haven’t, otherwise you wouldn’t be posting asking for assistance. 

The surround speakers connect to your PLAYBAR on a 5 GHz channel created by the PLAYBAR. The speaker still gets an IP address from your router, however.

If one of the PLAY:1s is not playing, and the other is, that might suggest an issue with the PLAY;1, so most likely it has some sort of wifi interference , or I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

@Sunil mathew,

Sometimes a power off of all speakers and TV for a few minutes can sometimes help. Also put the routers 2.4Ghz band to use a non-overlapping WiFi channel (channel 1, 6 or 11) and if the router allows set the channel-width to 20Mhz only. That helps to reduce interference.

If the master HT product is wired to the LAN then ensure you have not disabled its wireless adapter, that’s required to communicate with the surrounds/Sub (5Ghz band). Check any other devices near the TV are not interfering with the signals too (Bluetooth/Zigbee devices nearby) and do not wire the surrounds/Sub to the LAN, particularly if the master HT device is not wired to the LAN.

Following up on this issue as issue persists with 14.19.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You seemed to ignore the issue the sonos rep said they were seeing 

Because he is empirically wrong. By that logic I should be able to unplug the new Sub Mini and everything would work again as it did for 6 months, but it didn't.

Since then, I've obtained a new router, hardwired the Arc, and other Sonos devices to no avail. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

So you don’t want to try suggestions probably yea you’re not going to get strong support.  You have to follow a process