Skip to main content

I have a Samsung TV. Audio set to Dolby Atmos. Shows EArc. I have Now TV uktra boost, which supports Dolby atmos. I play a show through there and the arc shows Dolby Multichannel PCM 2.0. Is this atmos?

No, that would be stereo.

Not sure what a ‘Now TV uktra boost’ is, but if the show you’re watching isn’t being sent in Atmos, you won’t see Atmos received/displayed by the Sonos. 

Thanks for the reply. Now TV is a UK app for Sky and HBO shows. It offers an Ultra Boost service which plays Dolby Atmos. What I am wondering is there anything else that needs to happen to get Dolby Atmos on Sonos? 

TV settings show Atmos as ticked

The HdMI is shown on the TV as earc.

The HDMI lead was the one provided by Sonos in the Arc box

The app on the tv says it is offering Atmos

The app on Sonos shows stereo.

Are you viewing from the TV’s tuner or a set top box? If the latter, try setting the tv audio to pass through, and check too for any audio out settings on the stb. 

Sometimes a power cycle of components can help, so power down tv and Arc (and stb if relevant) for a few minutes before restarting them. 

Thanks for the reply.

It is direct from TV. I’ll try to power down and restart later.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a test to check whether Atmos works with my set up (it’s basically a TV)? I have used lots of different apps and never seen anything but stereo appear, despite the Atmos settings on TV being ticked and the TV showing it is connected to Arc via Earc.

What model of TV is it? Someone may be able to suggest a setting if we know that. 😉

Thanks for the reply.

Samsung 43QN90B. On the menu system it says it supports Dolby Atmos.

So under Settings, All Settings, Sound, Expert Settings, is EARC set to on and Digital Output audio Format set to pass through? 

Also what does it say under Settings, All Settings, Sound, Sound Output ? 

I have a Samsung TV. Audio set to Dolby Atmos. Shows EArc. I have Now TV uktra boost, which supports Dolby atmos. I play a show through there and the arc shows Dolby Multichannel PCM 2.0. Is this atmos?

Are you actually playing content that is in Dolby Atmos? Just having Now TV Ultra Boost (or a TV that supports Dolby Atmos) doesn’t make programmes play in Dolby Atmos - they need to have been mixed for Atmos, which very few shows are. Try playing The Last of Us on Now TV which does have Dolby Atmos, and see what the Now Playing screen on the app reports.

Brassic Series 6 is listed on Sky Max as having Dolby Atmos for another test. 

Thanks for the replies. 

Powered down. Powered up. Put on Brassic 6. Put on the last of us.

Still shows PCM multichannel 2.0. 

Either it’s a call to Sonos or a return of 2.5k of equipment!

Likely your TV not sending an appropriate signal to the Sonos, but a call to Sonos would probably be much easier than a return.