SUB OR BEAM ?

• 11 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello

I am owner of a new system of Sonos at my home.

I bought set of :1 Five and 2 One SL 

I am not filling like its the best fit together with the TV and thinking what to do:

I am debating what is the better product to improve my home theater experience debating about Sub Gen 3 \ Sub mini \ Beam.

I connected the Five to the TV with AUX cable but I feel like its missing some quality on the way.

I am sure that buying Sub will improve the experience and also Ray\ Beam that will connect with a better option like HDMI cable to the system.

The thing is if there is anyway to connect wirelessly the TV with the FIVE and than i guess I will go for the SUB option.

I have also APPLE TV but the airplay not working always the best (some applications not supporting and sometimes having delay)

Thanks

Jordi

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You don’t say where or how you’re using the Ones, but anyway…

The Five should sound better than your TV’s own speakers, but there’s a small delay on the Aux input that may cause lip-sync issues. If you’ve grouped the Ones in the same physical room there’s another delay there which will make a kind of echo. The Five is not a home theatre device so you are only ever going to get stereo sound. 
The Beam (or Ray, or Arc) is a home theatre device. Any one of them provide the 3 front channels to give you a 3.0 system. You can then bond the Ones as surrounds to give you a 5.0 system, and adding the Sub brings you up to full 5.1. 
For improved tv watching, that’s your best route.  The Five can then be used in a different room, on its own or with a second to stereo-pair them, with optionally another Sub or Sub Mini  

there is any kind of option to connect the Play Five with wireless connection through PS5 or APPLE TV ?

I will prefer to get Sub instead of buying Beam.

I undestand there is an option to buy Ray and Sub mini (I dont know how much there is a big difference between sub mini and sub gen3)