Answered

Sub Mini Ethernet connection issues

• 5 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Just bought myself a Sub Mini to pair up with my Beam. Right out of the box I’m having issues with using the sub mini connected with Ethernet. Prefer it that way since the router is right next to it. The beam is also connected with Ethernet. However, when I plug the Ethernet in to the router it kills my network and the router loses all internet connectivity. WiFi on the sub mini works just fine. But whenever I connect the sub with Ethernet, it messes up my router and network. 

I’m thinking the sub has a faulty network card that somehow maybe is wired wrong. But before I complain to the store where i bought, do any of you have any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by controlav 5 December 2022, 14:56

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It is not recommended to hardwire Subs, due to the way they use 5GHz to bind to their parent device. If you hard-wire it it can be the SonosNet controller, and that is not a good idea.

Recommend disconnecting it from Ethernet and let its parent device communicate to it over its custom 5GHz channel.

Network storms when more than once device is wired are usually a sign of a managed switch and the well-known STP problem.

Excellent, thank you so much!