Sub continually stops working

• 16 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi all--I’ve got Sonos all throughout my home. 9 Play Ones, 2 Subs, and a Playbar in total. Overall everything works perfectly well, except for my “Living Room”. In that room, I’ve got 2 Sonos Ones and a Sub. I’ve noticed that it sounds very tinny and lacks bass when I play music. I check the app, and there are no issues. However, the Sub is not playing! Here are the things I’ve tried:

1. Remove the Sub through the app, then re-add it via the app. This generally works but I have to do this every single time I start playing anything to “Living Room”
  2. Un-plug it for 10 seconds and plug it back in. Sometimes this makes the Sub start working too.
  3. Un-plug it and press the join button while plugging back in, and re-adding it as a new speaker to “Living Room”. This takes 5-10 minutes but seems to work until the next time I play music
  4. Called customer support. She ran a diagnostic and said it shows that the speaker is playing, when it is definitely not. It’s quite obvious when the Sub is playing, as we all know it’s quite powerful.

Unfortunately, the lady on the phone said my 1 year warranty is up on this device since I purchased it in August 2019 (from Costco, who I’m on the phone with now).

Anyone else have other suggestions? It seems like the Sub does in fact work, but only if I take steps mentioned above. Very strange because I don’t experience any issues ever with my other Sonos products. For example my media room “Den” always works with the playbar, 2 ones, and a different Sub.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

It’s not really clear from your post, is the Sub connected to your PLAYBAR, and are the PLAY:1s set up as surrounds, or are these two separate ‘rooms’ in the Sonos controller? If so, what speaker(s) is the Sub normally bonded to, and how far away is the Sub from that speaker?

Have you tried a network refresh by unplugging the Sub and rebooting your router while the Sub is unplugged, and then plugging it back in after the router comes back up?

At any point, when you look in the controller in settings, does the room with the Sub show up as ‘room name (+?)’ ?

Badge

It’s not really clear from your post, is the Sub connected to your PLAYBAR, and are the PLAY:1s set up as surrounds, or are these two separate ‘rooms’ in the Sonos controller? If so, what speaker(s) is the Sub normally bonded to, and how far away is the Sub from that speaker?

Have you tried a network refresh by unplugging the Sub and rebooting your router while the Sub is unplugged, and then plugging it back in after the router comes back up?

At any point, when you look in the controller in settings, does the room with the Sub show up as ‘room name (+?)’ ?

Apologies if it was unclear, I was just laying out the total number of Sonos products in my home that are working perfectly.

Here’s the description of the issue: a room which is labeled Living Room in my app contains 2 Play One’s and 1 Sub. The Sub is constantly not playing, and I have to do the steps mentioned previously to get it to play. The app shows no issues, and the Sub is placed very close to my router (I have Google Wifi with 4 access points for my home mesh network).

To answer your question, I have tried a network refresh and yes it is working, but regardless every time I unplug it and plug it back in, it works for that session. I’ll continue to monitor if it stops working later in the day. 

For your 2nd question, the app does not show any issues, including “Living Room (+?)”

Then I can’t think of any reason for there to be an issue, beyond the potential for wifi interference . But I don’t have access to the hard data in the diagnostic. Perhaps there is another forum member who can assist you, who has a better knowledge of network issues.