Answered

Static/Popping Noise on Sonos ARC

Badge

I was getting intermittent static from my Apple TV - Samsung Frame TV - Sonos Arc-Sub-SL Speakers setup, but not when the source was my cable-box. I tried all the various suggestions from this forum to no avail. Then I tried the various streaming apps built into the Frame TV (Netflix, Prime Video, Crave, Disney Plus, Apple TV Plus, Plex) and no static/popping sounds. So clearly the Apple TV HD box was the weak link in my setup. So don’t assume that the ARC is the problem. It could very well be some other hardware in your setup. 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 7 January 2023, 23:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7

If you set the HDMI-eARC Mode setting to OFF, does it make any difference?

Badge

Nope. In fact, then I get 2-3 seconds of no audio intermittently. 

Nope. In fact, then I get 2-3 seconds of no audio intermittently. 

You probably need to change the audio format on the Apple TV too - see if that sorts it, aswell as disabling eARC.

Badge

UPDATE - First, I downloaded the latest update for my Apple TV, then discovered that I can send the audio directly to the Sonos ARC wirelessly from the Apple TV bypassing the Frame TV and eArc altogether. But that still didn’t fix things, so under Audio Format setting on the Apple TV (HD version) I set it to Dolby Digital 5.1 and that stopped the static. But that seems to disable Dolby Atmos, so may still use the apps built-in to my Samsung Frame TV.

UPDATE - First, I downloaded the latest update for my Apple TV, then discovered that I can send the audio directly to the Sonos ARC wirelessly from the Apple TV bypassing the Frame TV and eArc altogether. But that still didn’t fix things, so under Audio Format setting on the Apple TV (HD version) I set it to Dolby Digital 5.1 and that stopped the static. But that seems to disable Dolby Atmos, so may still use the apps built-in to my Samsung Frame TV.

FYI The Apple TV4 HD version does not support Dolby Atmos (DD+ compressed).

Badge

@Ken_Griffiths 

Do all iterations of Apple TV 4K support Dolby Atmos?

@Ken_Griffiths

Do all iterations of Apple TV 4K support Dolby Atmos?

Yes, I think so, but note the default audio out on ATV HD and 4K models is Multichannel LPCM (uncompressed) - to use that codec you would need to enable eARC on the TV and I suspect the popping issue might return with your setup (er.. perhaps🤔) …so whichever ATV model you use I would switch off LPCM and stick with Dolby Digital/DD+ (compressed) codecs .. or simply use the in-built TV Apps for DD+ Atmos.

Hope that assists.

Badge

UPDATE - Well, I found an open-box 2021 Apple TV 4K for a great price and replaced my Apple TV HD with it and it works great with default configurations - no intermittent popping sounds or static. And an added bonus - Dolby Atmos support. 

I have this issue when I watch the AppleTV+ app on my Samsung TV. It only happens with appletv+ app and not any of the other streaming apps.

any thoughts?

Badge

@TomHA  I’ll have to check things out on the built-in Apple TV+ app on my Samsung Frame, but I don’t believe it suffers from this issue.