Sound Cuts Out Randomly, LG C1/Shield Pro

• 14 November 2023
  • 10 replies

Current setup:
Sonos Arc

Sonos Era 300 x2 Surround

Sonos Sub x2

Arc is Ethernet, everything else is wireless

Nvidia Shield → LG C1 Port 3 (dolby processing is off, match content is on)

Sonos Arc → LG C1 Port 2 eArc enabled and passthrough bitstream

ATT Fiber Router in Passthrough mode to Asus RT-AX88U and a PiHole.

The system has been flawless for about 2 years now and even after the purchase of the Era 300s (used to have SL Ones) it was working fine. About 2 months ago the issue has started popping up.

The issue: Randomly throughout the day (if watching for 2-3 hours, maybe occurs once) there is a full sound cutout on all my sonos devices for about 5-10 seconds. When this happens I tend to look at the status light. I see it be that standard dim white for those 5-10 seconds then it’ll turn a bright green for about 1 second then the sound comes back on all devices. This has become frustrating since sometimes its right in the middle of an important scene in a movie. Does not matter if I am watching on youtube, plex, disneyplus this issue has happened on them all. I have contacted support over the phone about 4 or 5 times now and they look at the logs on their end and see nothing special. All 4 or 5 times they tell me to let it happen again and capture diagnostics for them. Which I do but I am also getting a bit frustrated being told to just “wait” every time. The latest call the technician asked if I had any other devices, which I do have a ps5 on port 1. However, I have not really been using it and is in resting mode for most of the days of the week. The tech mentioned the ps5 could be overloading the ports with data (this does not make sense to me) and asked for it to be unplugged. I did do that, but issue persists. I have personally decided to swap out the hdmi cables on the devices in case that has anything to do with it but seems it has made no difference. I was hoping to see if someone has encountered this issue and if you have any advice on what to try next. It does consistently happen on a daily basis. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7

If you disconnect the ethernet cable and put the Arc in a wireless setup, does it make any difference?

If you disconnect the ethernet cable and put the Arc in a wireless setup, does it make any difference?

ill disconnect the ethernet today to see if that makes a difference

Can confirm now that disconnecting the ethernet did not help. Issue has resurfaced. 

Hi there

Try disabling any sound processing on the Nvidia Shield and let the tv/sonos handle the signal.

Processing the signal several times or using the nvidia shield (from 2019) is the oldest processor so use the newer sonos or lg sound processor might solve your problem.

Hi there

Try disabling any sound processing on the Nvidia Shield and let the tv/sonos handle the signal.

Processing the signal several times or using the nvidia shield (from 2019) is the oldest processor so use the newer sonos or lg sound processor might solve your problem.

I listed some of the settings in the original post. I also am following some recommendations I've seen on Reddit and on this community site since I've been digging around for a while now. Dolby processing is off and match content is on. Both used to be off but due to some post recommendations I have since turned on match content. However, issues persists with any combination of those settings being on and off. 

I had the issue happen today twice in about 30 minutes. I decided to try the one thing I haven't yet which is to factory reset the Arc. I went through the whole set up, paired the two subs and eras and was able to watch for 2 hours without interruption. However, I have gone that long before without the issue so I'm hoping I'm still clear in the next day or so. Everything is up to date, including the firmware update that was released yesterday. 

Hi again

On your C1 go into settings- input- and change your earc from what it is to soundbar and under make set it to Philips (yes it works as Sonos is not a option in Webos).

Hope it helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Tito07 

Thanks for your post!

Have you tried rebooting the TV? I recommend it - please unplug the TV from power for at least 2 minutes. Doing this restarts the TV’s software in a way that standby does not achieve.

The light on the Arc going green means it is muted - something the TV will often command it to do when reinitialising the connection between them. I therefore recommend you also check for TV software updates, if the above does not resolve the issue.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Tito07 

Thanks for your post!

Have you tried rebooting the TV? I recommend it - please unplug the TV from power for at least 2 minutes. Doing this restarts the TV’s software in a way that standby does not achieve.

The light on the Arc going green means it is muted - something the TV will often command it to do when reinitialising the connection between them. I therefore recommend you also check for TV software updates, if the above does not resolve the issue.

I hope this helps.

Yes, I've tried that too. On multiple occasions. 

I will say though that since the reset (powering arc on while holding the infinity button) I haven't had the issue. This is the longest I've gone without it coming up so I'm really hoping that was the fix. 

Two weeks later and no issues whatsoever. Resetting the Arc was the fix, probably one of the updates didnt go through so well is my best guess.