Answered

Sony Bravia KD 50X72K with arc HDMI and SKY Q

• 18 September 2023
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have bought a Sony TV for the kitchen and as it has a pretty decent picture I thought I might add a Ray. The TV has only ‘arc HDMI’ or optical out,  so I wondered whether there might be a lip sync problem when feeding the audio from my SKY Q box ‘via’ the TV.

I previously did have a lip sync problem with a similarly arc equipped Samsung TV and Beam. 
The audio from the SKY Q satellite box was slightly delayed ( lip sync problem ) but TV apps’ audio, direct from the TV into the Beam was fine. 

Thanks in anticipation…..

Tom

icon

Best answer by ratty 18 September 2023, 15:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

It sounds like you had a problem with that specific Samsung’s HDMI input. I doubt the problem would recur with your Sony.

If you buy a Ray through Sonos you’d have the option of returning it in the unlikely event of lip-sync problems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I use a Beam and an Arc with a Sky Mini and Sky Q box respectively and have no problems with Lip Sync, except occasionally on BBC 1 but that is a Sky Q problem I think.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks UK Media

Do you connect your SkyQ and Mini box  to your TVs direct and then run your arc outs to your Beam and Arc speakers?

Are your TV HDMI outs definitely Arcs and not eArcs and may I ask, are the TVs Sony Bravias?

Thanks Thomas

I have bought a Sony TV for the kitchen and as it has a pretty decent picture I thought I might add a Ray. The TV has only ‘arc HDMI’ or optical out,  so I wondered whether there might be a lip sync problem when feeding the audio from my SKY Q box ‘via’ the TV.

I previously did have a lip sync problem with a similarly arc equipped Samsung TV and Beam. 
The audio from the SKY Q satellite box was slightly delayed ( lip sync problem ) but TV apps’ audio, direct from the TV into the Beam was fine. 

Thanks in anticipation…..

Tom

The Ray is optical only, it doesn’t have an ARC/eARC connection. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks ratty,

I hope you are right and it’s the Samsung that caused the issue in my lounge set/up. 
I have had to resort to using a two in, one out optical cable switcher giving me direct optical leads from both the SkyQ box and the TV to stop the annoying lip sync problem. 
I am hoping that I can connect just one optical lead from my Sony TV into a Sonos Ray. The Sony TV optical out gives the same quality/speed output as the Sony’s arc HDMI. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks UK Media

Do you connect your SkyQ and Mini box  to your TVs direct and then run your arc outs to your Beam and Arc speakers?

Are your TV HDMI outs definitely Arcs and not eArcs and may I ask, are the TVs Sony Bravias?

Thanks Thomas

Neither of my TV’s have eArc connections.  For the ARC, I use an HDFury box to split the Video and Audio, as my TV can’t passthrough Atmos (Please see attached) but my Beam is connected to the TV Audio output.

Neither of my TV’s are Sony Bravias, one is LG and the other Pioneer.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Jgatie

Yes but the Sony TV’s optical out corresponds to it’s HDMI arc port and carries Dolby Surround. I would be using its optical-out port but just wondering whether its circuitry will be fast enough to pass-through the surround sound output from my SKY mini box without causing lip-sync issues. 

Jgatie

Yes but the Sony TV’s optical out corresponds to it’s HDMI arc port and carries Dolby Surround. I would be using its optical-out port but just wondering whether its circuitry will be fast enough to pass-through the surround sound output from my SKY mini box without causing lip-sync issues. 

Actually, the optical is limited to plain Dolby Digital 5.1.  ARC will carry up to DD+ Atmos, and eArc will do up to DD TrueHD Atmos and DTS HD. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

UK Media

Cheers.  :-) 

HDFury 

I did consider that when thinking about upgrading my lounge Beam and 2 Ones to an Arc and 2 Ones. 

For the kitchen though I am just thinking about an ‘optical lead’ Ray and wondering if the Bravia will pass through the Dolby Surround fast enough to avoid lip sync delay. The Bravia is a 4K set and I would also like to use its in-built 4K apps as well as the Sky mini box for regular TV without having to faff about with an optical lead switch box. 

UK Media

HDFury 

I did consider that when thinking about upgrading my lounge Beam and 2 Ones to an Arc and 2 Ones. 

For the kitchen though I am just thinking about an ‘optical lead’ Ray and wondering if the Bravia will pass through the Dolby Surround fast enough to avoid lip sync delay. The Bravia is a 4K set and I would also like to use its in-built 4K apps as well as the Sky mini box for regular TV without having to faff about with an optical lead switch box. 

Any TV which is operating properly will not have a lip sync problem, either through optical or ARC/eARC. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

UK Media

HDFury 

I’ve had no problems at all with the HD Fury box but I’m not sure how it would work with Built In Apps in your TV.  All of my sources are external, hence the HDMI splitter.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The TV apps in my not inexpensive Samsung QLED Tv are fine with no lip-sync error but when I try to pass-through Dolby Surround from a Mini-Box there is a delay. Like you I use a splitter to get around the problem but mine is an optical splitter. 

I’m not sure why there’s discussion about HDMI/ARC. The Ray only accepts optical. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

ratty

There are two available ports on my Sony TV. HDMI arc or optical. Both appear identical in offering Dolby Audio 5.1. With the Beam that I use in my lounge with SKY providing my Samsung TV with my TV viewing channels there is a lip sync issue so I have to use either an HDFury HDMI splitter or an optical splitter to feed the 5.1 audio direct to the Beam from either the TV or direct from the SKY box. 
If I buy a Ray for my kitchen TV with connected SKY mini box I don’t want to have to do this. If I can’t feed SKY  5.1 audio to the Ray direct from my TV’s optical port without incurring lip sync problems I will just make do with the Sony’s inbuilt speakers. 
So I just wanted to know if anyone else was using a similar set up with no lip sync issue.  ( SkY mini box or SKY Q into TV with audio into Ray from their TV’s optical out port )

I could run an optical out direct from the SKY mini box into the Ray but then I wouldn’t have audio coming from the Ray when I used the TV’s 4K Netflix and Amazon Prime’s 4K Apps.