Skip to main content

Sonos with TV and beamer

• 13 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi All,

I have a question for my future setup. 
currently I am having a surround set. Which is connected with Xbox, Apple TV, TV receiver etc. 
this than goes to HDMI out which I then split to my TV and Beamer. Depending on which one I want to watch I can watch all inputs and have the audio. 
how can you achieve this with a sonos setup removing the surround set? Maybe a hdmi arc switch? Looking forward to your input. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

That’s not the way Sonos works, unfortunately. Sonos relies on the HDMI ARC output from your TV. Most source devices don’t create that type of signal, usually only the TV does.

So all your sources connect to the TV set, which acts as the ‘switch’ device, and the Sonos Beam plays whatever is playing on the video from your TV…whichever source you choose.

I thought about using optical connection. Doesn’t that work?

Essentially (well, pretty much exactly) the same way, you’d just need an adapter to connect between the optical out on the TV and the HDMI ARC input on the Beam. 

But you can also use the optical out from for example this switch or am I wrong? https://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/hdmi-matrix-schakelaar-4-naar-2-met-extra-toslink-3-5mm-uitgang-versie-1-4-4k-30hz?utm_source=adhouse7&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=69385-60187&utm_content=CjwKCAjw-KipBhBtEiwAWjgwrPlD9NJKYWp7zRkDA7iZ-FPE2qy64kk-PypNIofmdjN7ivk8GoWg5hoC1UcQAvD_BwE

Optical does not support the full range of surround formats. Only HDMI-eARC supports the formats supported by the SONOS ARC.