Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos volume Increases to max when I cast HBOMax

• 28 August 2023
  • 7 replies

I use my phone to start HBO Max and then use the Chromecast built-into my Vizio TV to watch it there. When I do this, I can see the Arc’s light blinking, quickly increasing the volume to max for absolutely no reason. I have to immediately open the Sonos app and reduce the volume slider or my neighbors will hear it down the street. When I use Airplay instead of Cast (even though Cast also used the HBO Max app built into my tv), this issue doesn't occur.

Why is this happening? I have an Arc with two bonded era 300s.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not sure Airplay uses the HBO Max app built into your TV, but that'’s maybe a bit off topic.

Sonos can probably say more about where the command to raise the volume comes from. Make a diagnostic within 15 minutes from the moment this occurs and call them. 

Badge +4

Not sure Airplay uses the HBO Max app built into your TV, but that'’s maybe a bit off topic.

Sonos can probably say more about where the command to raise the volume comes from. Make a diagnostic within 15 minutes from the moment this occurs and call them. 

How else would a movie play on tv through airplay unless it was using the app built-in to the tv?

I’m having the same problem it’s very frustrating, makes the entire system unusable for some of my favorite shows

What did Sonos say, when you submitted a diagnostic within 10 minutes, and called them?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Jonnydrama32 See I’ve missed your question. I think Airplay sends all sound and images fro your phone to the TV. In that case an app on your TV would not be necessary.

I currently only have a Sonos 1. I’m not using it for tv audio it is just connected to my internet. Have two vizio tv’s that I cast hbo to (living room and bed room). Both will turn the tv volume to 100 when casting, but only happens with the Max app. If I remove the Ethernet from the speaker this issue no longer happens. have yet to reach out to Sonos but planning on it this weekend, and will update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not sure I understand your problem. Is it that the volume on your Sonos One (that isn’t and couldn’t be connected to your TV) goes up when you cast to your TV using the HBO Max app on your phone? And you use Chromecast?