Answered

Sonos sub won't connect with Playbar

• 3 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

After moving to a new home and trying to re-establish my Sonos system - my Sonos Sub (2nd gen i believe Series ID A100) will no longer pair to my Sonos Playbar via Wifi.   

The Playbar is optically connected to my TV (workign well) and also connected Wifi (i can stream other sources to the Playbar without issue)

I have factory reset the sub a number of times and the unit establishes itself to my wifi network and receives an IP address each time in the same network as rest of my wireless devices.   

just for giggles - i tried to connect the sub (after initial setup) to a working Play 1 and that worked - its only when i try to connect the sub to my Playbar where things break (despite this same setup working in my previous home).  i also notice that after trying to pair it to the sub - the “about my system” shows the sub still having an IP address on my network but in the “not connected” state.   any thoughts or pointers welcomed!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 4 January 2023, 06:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

In the Playbar’s room setting, is the Playbar showing as a standalone device or do you have the option to Remove Sub ?

The Playbar possibly thinks it is still bonded with the Sub under it’s previous IP address and therefore not allowing the Sub to connect.

As you’ve demonstrated the Sub bonds with a Play:1, I’d be tempted to do a factory reset on the Playbar. I’d remove any surrounds prior so you can add them back afterwards, along with hopefully the Sub.

Userlevel 2

thanks for reply.. i did “Remove Sub” from the Playbar a couple different times and tried to re-add and consistently wont work.   i’ll try the factory reset on the Playbar route and reconfigure

Another thing to consider is if wifi is turned off on the PLAYBAR erroneously. It needs to be “On”. Worth a double check (and frankly, if it’s on, I’d switch it off, then back on again). And look for 5Ghz interference around both the PLAYBAR and the Sub, since that’s what they communicate to each other on. And certainly worth re-reading the wifi interference FAQ, in case there’s something more general creating interference. 

Userlevel 2

@Airgetlam  - thanks for reply.  is 5Ghz only used to connect Sub and Playbar? i ask because i was able to connect Sub to a Play1 successfully (just the Playbar giving me issues).  

And yes - Wifi on Playbar is turned on (which i presume is how i’m streaming other content to it like music).  its not hardwired to anything other than the TV (optical)

If I’m not mistaken, all Sonos speakers ‘bond’ with the Sub on a 5Ghz channel, but it’s hidden from ‘sight’. 

Since the Sub is working with the PLAY:1, we can assume the fault is not with the Sub. It does suggest either a hardware fault with the PLAYBAR, or some sort of Wi-Fi interference with it.

Your PLAYBAR is connected to your Wi-Fi on a 2.4 GHz channel?

Did you read the FAQ I linked to?

You may want to submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.