Skip to main content

I can't stream my music via Bluetooth or wifi. Google is now removed. The beam and arc are now officially walled gardens. Lame

Many Sonos speakers allow streaming via Bluetooth, most specifically all the new ones.

All Sonos speakers allow streaming via Wi-Fi.

Google themselves changed their policy which keeps Sonos from putting Google’s voice assistant on the Era lines of speakers. The Google Assistant can still be used on all the products Sonos originally got permission to place it on. 

I don’t understand the comment about the Arc and Beam, there have been no changes other than upgrades since Sonos released their original sound bar, the PLAYBAR.

Your post makes no sense. 

Google was on there. I could set alarms, do everything I do normally. My point is I should get a say what happens with my property. Not find out that it was removed with an update.

Secondly, by streaming if you mean the ever tightening noose of paying sonos for different streaming options yes. If you mean streaming DIRECTLY from a phone or device, then no. Sonos is an overpriced watered down system with lack of functionality.

So, you’re having a issue with Google on your local system, and that’s Sonos’ fault.

Google is blocking the ability for companies like Sonos to access data on an Android device, just like Apple did with iOS devices three and a half years ago, but that’s Sonos’ fault. 

Got it. 

To the best of my knowledge, the only service Sonos accepts payments for is Sonos HD Radio. All other  streaming services charge their own subscriptions, which Sonos gets zero share (check Sonos’ public financials for confirmation). Not convinced that’s a ‘tightening noose’, but that’s a subjective opinion, you’re certainly entitled to yours.

I’d recommend selling your Sonos immediately, while they still retain the majority of their value for resale, and jump to a more open system, which should make you happier. If such a thing exists. 

Sonos forgot an aux input or device streaming. Perfect. Practically every soundbar has Bluetooth. It's not a new concept.

Sonos forgot an aux input or device streaming. Perfect. Practically every soundbar has Bluetooth. It's not a new concept.

You could just simply ‘group’ any of the Sonos soundbars over WiFi with a Roam, Era-100, or Era-300 and send your BT playing audio to the Soundbar.

I have a Sonos Arc (called ‘Living Room’) and both a Beam (Gen 1 & 2) and can add the Google Assistant to each of those devices (as per screenshot), but I personally prefer Amazon Alexa and SVC.

My point is I should get a say what happens with my property. Not find out that it was removed with an update.

So when Sonos finds out a feature is no longer possible, users could vote on it? How would that help?

I had to recycle a perfectly functional cellphone because the cell towers stopped supporting it.