Answered

Sonos Ray questions

• 9 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Help needed with my Sonos Ray, and apologies for the long post….

Here’s what I have in terms of Tv/connected devices: the main bugbear is to be able to control the Ray’s volume with a TV remote, which seems impossible at the moment.

I have a JVC Smart TV, model LT43CA790c. Connected to the HDMI 2(ARC) is a Tv Firestick, connected to HDMI 1 is a Virgin (Tivo) box, and the ray is connected via the supplied Optical cable.

In terms of set up, I have the TV’s audio output set to external audio , with the TV speakers off. The supplied JVC TV remote seems not to be an Infrared type as it won’t pair with the Ray, nor control the sound. Can someone recommend a universal remote that will work? 

Questions:

1.do I have the devices connected to the best inputs? Ignoring the Ray for a moment, there is a distinct drop in volume when using the Virgin box when compared to the Firestick (which is connected to the HDMI(ARC) input.

2 When I use the Ray, I’m finding I need to have the volume up near the 50/60 mark before there’s any appreciable ‘oomph’ from the soundbar at all…is this normal?

3 If anyone can suggest the best audio output settings for the TV( Dolby. Dolby plus, auto) and similarly for the Firestick?

4 Is the optical connection the only way to connect the ray? Someone has suggested an optical/HDMI converter, plugged into the ARC input- is this feasible or advisable?

Thanks in advance for any and all help and advice

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 10 January 2024, 00:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

You should be able to use the VM V6 remote - I seem to recall that uses infrared. You just need to add your TV code to it from the Help menu in the VM box settings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

#1 Probably, switching them should be easy enough if you care to try it.

#4 Since you are ending up with an optical connection either way you’d gain nothing.

Questions:

1.do I have the devices connected to the best inputs? Ignoring the Ray for a moment, there is a distinct drop in volume when using the Virgin box when compared to the Firestick (which is connected to the HDMI(ARC) input.

Yeah it’s fine - you can swap the HDMI inputs around if you prefer, but I suspect you will not hear/see anything different.

2 When I use the Ray, I’m finding I need to have the volume up near the 50/60 mark before there’s any appreciable ‘oomph’ from the soundbar at all…is this normal?

This varies by TV brand/model, but I have an LG TV linked to a Ray and I’m seeing roughly the same volume level… it’s fine and you’ve got another 50% if you want it louder.

3 If anyone can suggest the best audio output settings for the TV( Dolby. Dolby plus, auto) and similarly for the Firestick?

Auto for the sound out is fine, but set the Optical Port to pass-through the digital audio, if you have that option available within your TV sound settings.

4 Is the optical connection the only way to connect the ray? Someone has suggested an optical/HDMI converter, plugged into the ARC input- is this feasible or advisable?

Note: The Sonos optical adapter is an ‘Optical to HDMI-ARC/eARC’ adapter, it cannot be used the other way around - it’s used for connecting a TV that have no HDMI-ARC/eARC port, but has an Optical S/PDIF port, to connect it to either the Sonos Amp, Beam or Arc. It should not be used the other (wrong) way around to connect the Ray to the TV’s HDMI-ARC/eARC port - it won’t work in that configuration.

It you were looking at that ARC/eARC connection as an option,  then you might have been better off purchasing the Beam gen2, rather than the Ray. I would have gone for the Beam in my own case, personally speaking, but I did not have the room available with our LG Kitchen TV, but that said, the Ray works fine with our TV’s Magic Remote and is more than loud enough for the room.

Thank you Ken. All very helpful- just need the remote question sorting now 🤓

Thank you Ken. All very helpful- just need the remote question sorting now 🤓

Do you have this remote (or similar) for your TiVo? (see attached) - will that not work with your Ray if you program it to work with your TV?

Thanks Ken- yes, that’s our Tivo/Virgin remote, but it won't work as it’s bluetooth type, and from what I’ve gleaned , the Sonos Ray needs an Infrared remote to pair correctly.

John

Thanks Ken- yes, that’s our Tivo/Virgin remote, but it won't work as it’s bluetooth type, and from what I’ve gleaned , the Sonos Ray needs an Infrared remote to pair correctly.

John

I have this TiVo remote - its infrared - if you go into the VM Settings/Help it explains how to set it up to work with most  TV’s, you could even randomly use another make/model of TV, if you want, too.