Skip to main content
Answered

sonos port and onkyo tx-nr6050 no audio

• 5 November 2023
  • 8 replies

hi, I am running sonos arc paired with er300’s for my rear speakers and sub gen 3 for my living room.  i also have onkyo avr receiver plugged in hdmi through the tv not using earc or arc hdmi port.  Earc/arc hdmi port is being used for my sonos arc soundbar.  My onkyo receiver is paired with sonos port and the receiver is powering wired speakers for outdoor use.  I am not getting any audio even though i was able to link my sonos port to my avr receiver.  i don’t understand why i am not getting any sound ?.  when i play music app on sonos app it seems to work but no audio. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

How is the Port connected to the AVR? Have you checked that the connections are correct, and that the chosen input on the AVR is good, and selected? AVRs frequently have the option to remap inputs. Try playing a different source as a test.

Badge +20

Reads like you are connecting the ARC port on the Sonos Arc to the ARC port on the AVR - that won’t work as both those ports are designed to connect a TV.

Hi , port is connected via rca output to receiver input . Using cd as source.  My arc soundbar is connected to tv using arc/ Earc hdmi input . My receiver is connected using regular hdmi input . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi , port is connected via rca output to receiver input . Using cd as source.  My arc soundbar is connected to tv using arc/ Earc hdmi input . My receiver is connected using regular hdmi input . 

If your Port output is connected only to the AVR input then you won’t be able to send what is playing on the AVR to the Port. To do both you need to connect the Port’s output to the AVR’s Tape in connections. Select Tape-Monitor to hear the Port’s output. The Port should see whatever is playing on the AVR coming from the Tape Out connection.

The Arc should be connected to the TV’s eArc connection.

If the TV has a second output you could connect that to the AVR’s matching input.

If you hook the AVR’s HDMI output to one of ther TV’s HDMI inputs the TV should play whatever is on the internal HDMI circuitry. You will have to read the AVR’s manual to see if it will allow you to send regualr audio to the HDMI output, not all do.

You should be able to Group the Port and Arc to get them playing the same thing, but the TV signal will have a slight delay when passed to the Port.

So, to be clear, you get no sound when, say, playing an internet radio station on your Port? Can you verify that the ‘CD’ input on the AVR works okay with a different source? A headphone output on a phone would suffice to test it, using a 3.5mm-RCA cable.

Thank you all.  I was able to get audio by simply moving my speaker wires from zone 2 to main speaker input . I got sound ! I guess I can’t use zone 2 ?  Anyhow I’m using my receiver just for outdoor speakers ! Via Sonos port 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You might be able to use it but getting it properly configured within your AVR can be a challenge. Hopefully they have a forum!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Zone 2 Audio can be pretty ‘limited’ on many AVR’s!

From the Onkyo User Manual ‘

• The audio from externally connected AV components can be output to ZONE 2 only when the audio is analog or 2 ch PCM signal. When the AV component is connected to this unit with an HDMI cable, digital coaxial cable or digital optical cable, change the audio output of the AV component to the PCM output.