Answered

Sonos play bar and sub gen 2 disconnects after less then a hour

• 2 July 2023
  • 5 replies

I have two rooms with Sonos play bar+2 Play 1 and one sub. One room Sub disconnects after short period time and I get ?. Other room all is perfect.

I factory reset sub unlimited times with same result. I factory reset all four units and regrouped them and setup surround group all working and after less then an hour I get ? instead of sub in S2 app. 

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 2 July 2023, 08:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

We cannot rule out a hardware issue. As a diagnostic, swap SUB’s.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Might be interference on the 5Ghz dedicated link between soundbar and Sub.

to my knowledge soundbar only works on 2.4ghz. However a ireconnected on my mesh net work and sub has stayed connected for several days. 

to my knowledge soundbar only works on 2.4ghz. However a ireconnected on my mesh net work and sub has stayed connected for several days. 

When the Sub is correctly bonded to the Playbar and is playing, it should not use your mesh wireless network directly. Instead it uses an ad-hoc 5Ghz wireless network connection direct to the Playbars 5Ghz adapter - so ensure the Playbars WiFi is enabled, that’s even if you choose to wire the Playbar to the network.

When all Sonos products are not wired, the Playbar will use its 2.4Ghz adapter to connect to your WiFi router. If other Sonos products are wired it ‘may’ use the internal SonosNet 2.4Ghz wireless network instead, linking back to the wired Sonos device (directly, or indirectly).

I would rarely (if ever) personally cable a Surround, or Sub, to the network, as the ad-hoc 5Ghz wireless connection to the main HT (Playbar) device is often the much better option.

Swapping your two Subs, as @buzz suggested is probably a good thing to try as an initial part of troubleshooting your issue. I would not keep factory resetting your Sub as that is unlikely going to solve the problem and may do more harm than good.

ok if sub disconnects one more time i will try the swapping. thx for y'all's input